• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Size shot for squirrels

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tin sandwich

36 Cl.
Reaction score
What would be some good shot to load my .38 kentucky pistol with . Im after squirrel short range . I want a pattern in a 20 yard range without obliterating the tree rat .

If your pistol is rifled, I would not expect you to get any usable pattern at 20 yards. The centrifugal force of the rifling will spin your shot outward, leaving a donut ring in the middle. You will need to experiment, but shot size is the least of your concerns. In a smoothbore, I would use 4s or 6s for "whompability" on tough skinned squirrels.

ADK Bigfoot

Don’t waste your time or powder. I’ve tried this with a smoothbore pistol, by the time you get enough powder in it to be deadly, it’s charged enough to blow out of your hands. Just use a long gun if you have one.

Its a smoothbore ..... i live in a wooded subdivision and these dang squirrels are everywhere . Not to keen on shooting my .32 crockett around here . I thought maybe my pistol would suffice without maiming someone .

If you are in a subdivision, I suggest you get a high powered pellet rifle. Get close with a head shot. 22 caliber is best. Or a .25 if you find one.

Like yhe holster tim .... subdivision is 1 and two acre lots . Heavily wooded .have a pellet rifle in .177 . Ill try #4 shot as suggested . Im going huntin . These things will run right up to you dang near !

What would be some good shot to load my .38 kentucky pistol with . Im after squirrel short range . I want a pattern in a 20 yard range without obliterating the tree rat .
I would start with #6 and work up in size and powder charge until you get the pattern you want. Honesty believe being 38 caliber is going to make it a challenge. Had a so called ‘bear pistol’ years ago in 56 caliber (rebored 54) with a longer barrel, and with #4 or #5 shot was quite the performer.

I've had good success with #7 shot in a Speer shot cup out of my 44 mag shooting spruce hens but squirrels are a good bit tougher so I think I might even go down to #4s for penetration although your shot count would be significantly reduced.
Most likely though I would just try and bean them with a full load Kieth slug.

If your pistol is rifled, I would not expect you to get any usable pattern at 20 yards. The centrifugal force of the rifling will spin your shot outward, leaving a donut ring in the middle. You will need to experiment, but shot size is the least of your concerns. In a smoothbore, I would use 4s or 6s for "whompability" on tough skinned squirrels.

ADK Bigfoot
I agree and load all my smoothbores with #4 👍🏽

I concur with those who said #4, #6 doesn't provide enough penetration for squirrels. They are small, but very tough animals.

I appreciate it men .... this subject had been on my mind awhile . I didnt realize it was mass vs speed as commented by mr numb . Anyway ive been given a starting point . Im hoping my next question is for squirrel recipes .

As to shot size, I never use anything smaller than 6s, as for a air rifle I have a .177 that will do the job out to 15 to 20 yards easy.

Back