• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Size of .40cal cleaning patches?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
While waiting for the .40cal barrel to get here I want to cut up some cleaning patches ahead of time, but need to be sure about the size before I start cutting.

I use Treso jags, about 2" long with tapered shanks in other calibers, and ordered the same type in .40cal.

If anybody uses a .40cal with a similar jag, I'd appreciate knowing what size to cut these.
1+1/4" ?
1+1/2" ?

I figure I could use the same cleaning patches in a 40cal that I would use for a 54 cal.
I'd guess mine are 1 3/4 inch by 2 1/2.All my cleaning patches are made of flannel.

Roundball,
I too use the same patches for everything from .40 to .54 cal. Just for the sake of simplicity.
They are 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" hand cut pillow ticking.
Ken

Halftail said:
I figure I could use the same cleaning patches in a 40cal that I would use for a 54 cal.
I'd guess mine are 1 3/4 inch by 2 1/2.All my cleaning patches are made of flannel.
:hmm: :hmm: dunno about that...

I use 2.25" x 2.25" for my .54 and they won't fit down into my .45s.

I use 1.5" x 1.75" in the .45s and they MIGHT work in the .40.

When I tried them on a .40cal jag they don't quite come up to the jag/rod junction which is good, so the only other question is will it be too much material to wedge into the bore...they're not thin flimsy material, but ribbed, material with some good body.

Was thinking of sitting here and trimming off one side of the 1.5" x 1.75" to make 1.5" squares out of them but thought I'd toss out the question first...

Was thinking of sitting here and trimming off one side of the 1.5" x 1.75" to make 1.5" squares out of them but thought I'd toss out the question first...

Yup,
It don't hurt to throw it out there.It gives us something to chew the rag about. :v

Now THIS is where the old tee shirts come in handy. I used to cut my 40cal patches 1" square and for the 50cal I'd cut em' 1.5" square. Alot depends on how much relief you have behind the last groove on your jag. The longer the tapper the larger patch you can use without it getting to large to ram down the barrel.

TN.Frank said:
Now THIS is where the old tee shirts come in handy. I used to cut my 40cal patches 1" square and for the 50cal I'd cut em' 1.5" square. Alot depends on how much relief you have behind the last groove on your jag. The longer the tapper the larger patch you can use without it getting to large to ram down the barrel.
Amen...have 3-4 T-shirts I could use for the .40cal...should be able to get hundreds out of them at the relatively small size...just need to finalize the size...surprised at your 1" square...would have thought 1" would be too small.

I've always leaned towards the largest patch I could get in and out of the bore in the belief that the more material there was wedged into the grooves, the more crud it would pull out...no science, just my assumption.

Photo of the jags I use:

cleaningjags.jpg

RB,

That depends upon your jag. The longer ones will taje a larger patch without buncing the cloth into the rod. That short one in the pictures will show you the length that you need post haste.

CS

They may go 1.25", I've not really measured em' to tell ya' the truth. I just know that they're smaller then the 50cal ones.
Actually, looking at em' again they look like they're 1"x 1.5". :hmm:

CrackStock said:
RB,

That depends upon your jag. The longer ones will taje a larger patch without buncing the cloth into the rod. That short one in the pictures will show you the length that you need post haste.
CS
cleaningjags.jpg

This is the Treso line of brass jags with steel threaded insert...it's about the only one I see all the BP suppliers carry...about 2" long...other than the 4" long tapered "Superjag" that TC started selling 5 years ago (.45/.50/.54) who else makes longer shanked jags...where can I buy them?
:confused:

TN.Frank said:
They may go 1.25", I've not really measured em' to tell ya' the truth. I just know that they're smaller then the 50cal ones.
Actually, looking at em' again they look like they're 1"x 1.5". :hmm:
I bet 1.5" x 1.5" would be the deal...just bought my Sweetie some flowers for our 39th so the timing is good to sweet talk her into dragging out her rotary cutter/board and make a few hundred from old T-shirts :grin:

Roundball, I use 1 1/2" square patches in mine. But, they work much better if you chuck that jag in a drill and make the shaft area smaller, so there is room for the patch to bunch up. I leave maybe an 1/8" from where the jag meets the rod and then turn the rest down to about 1/4" dia. You can also check to make sure that the cleaning patch does not ride up on the ramrod as it is going down. If it is, make your patches a little smaller till it doesn't.

I've never really cared for jags as the patch slips. I prefer a .38 caiber brush wrapped with a piece of cloth strip. The cloth never slips off the brush and i can make the patch as big and as long as the brush. I can also include extra material hanging loose off the end of the brush to ensure I get the face of the breechplug clean and the sharp corner where it meets the barrel. I've had excellent success in cleaning my guns using a strip of cloth over a brush for more than 30 years now. In the wife's .45 rifle I use a .44 brush. In the smootbores I just use the regular caliber as I don't have rifling to contend with.
Ohio Rusty

I also use the same tecneque with my Hawkens .50cal. Role a 2" X 2" longways :rotf:"get it" and leave about 1/2" past the end of the brush.
Does a real good job at the bottom of the hole, and the brass can do most of the work as it pricks through the material, "flannel" preferably.
It also allows you to twist it at the bottom without slipping, Ronnie...

I like the 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 for 40-cal.

I use the 3" ones for 50 to 58-caliber.... 12 gauge shotguns too.

RB,

I checked my patches from my shooting pouch that I use for my .40 and they are an inch and a half square. The jag was purchased from a friend and is a bit under 2 inches in length. It just dawned on me that your picture must be of a .50 cal jag since it looks so thick. I have some short thick .40 jags that I do not like. These look just like the one in your picture and I wanted to make sure that you got the better ones.

I also cut up old tee shirts. I had a crew of people and we destroyed the old shirts to control the emblem on them, so I gathered a stock pile and made bags of patches which I have used for years. This worked well as they were of a very good quality and thick. But they were a dark color and I would have prefered something lighter. Oh well, the price was right...

CS

Back