• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Silver Plating on Colt

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zonie

Moderator Emeritus In Remembrance
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
About 14 years ago I decided to have the trigger guard and grip strap on my Colts silver plated.

The original Colt C&B pistols sold to the public had all of the brass parts silver plated so I thought, "Why not?". :)

After visiting a few plating companies in the Phoenix area I found they wanted over $70 to do each gun ! :shocked2:

I ended up buying one of the "kits" that uses no battery electricity and is not toxic.

It's only weakness is it cannot build up a thick layer of silver. After one silver atoms thickness is reached there isn't access to the brass to produce the electric charge that will build up a thicker plating.

Anyway, at the time I posted a topic telling our readers about it.

Here's a link to that topic
http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusionbb/showtopic.php?tid/227052/post/638229/fromsearch/1/

At the time, several members wondered how well the plating would hold up and today I took a look at it.

It had pretty much vanished over the last 14 years so I decided to re-plate it.

During those 14 years, my house was burgled and I lost most of my pistols but the crook dropped my 1849 so that's the one I re-plated.
It's the bottom one in this picture.

Silver-004a.jpg

After all that time, the solution in the bottle was still good so after removing the grip, grip strap and trigger guard I removed all traces of oil and wax on their surfaces.

Applying some of the solution to a small, clean rag, with just a bit of rubbing, like magic, the silver plating reappeared on the parts.
Looked good as new. :)

To get the full value from this, the surfaces must be polished, mirror smooth. If they are, the outcome will end up looking like the grip straps and trigger guard are made of fine sterling silver.

If any of you want to try this, I found the company that I bought my solution from is out of stock but a Google putting "Silver Plating Solution" into the search block will show a lot of places that sell the stuff.
Prices are around $15- $25.

Oh!
Another nice thing about buying this solution.

You can make points with your wife. :grin:

Just tell her, "Honey, I'm going to fix up that old silver pot you got from Aunt Lilly.
You remember? The one that I said looked like a thunder jug for a elf? Boy O boy. Did that ever rankle her ! Ba-ha-ha-ha.

Yes. I do remember, it was her wedding present to you. :redface:

Anyway, this stuff I'm going to buy for just a few bucks will work wonders on bringing out the new silver look that thing must have had before Lilly got a hold of, er... I mean, before Lilly gave it to you.

Who knows? I might even find a use for it on one of my old guns that's laying around here someplace." :thumbsup:

Oh. If you do silver plate your Colt, be sure to give the new silver a GOOD coating of wax. Two coats would be even better.
Like I said, the plating is very thin and although silver is somewhat resistant to clean air, those raunchy egg winds that occasionally might waft thru the room can play havoc with unprotected silver, turning it black. :grin: :hmm:

Last edited by a moderator:
The plating solution in these "wipe it on and rub" products is more like a cream or a thick hand lotion so I don't think the use of electricity would do much.

As you know, there are solutions for plating that must use electricity but when I looked into going that route, the expense was high enough that I gave up on the idea.
Some of these solutions for electroplating silver plating contain cyanide.

Zonie,

That sounds pretty neat.

I realize you know, but thought I would add it is NOT a good idea to electrically silver or gold plate a fair thickness plating on all the parts in a BP Revolver, as then the parts would have to be refitted one at a time. It would not hurt just the trigger guard or probably the grip frame, though.

Gus

Zonie said:
The plating solution in these "wipe it on and rub" products is more like a cream or a thick hand lotion so I don't think the use of electricity would do much.

As you know, there are solutions for plating that must use electricity but when I looked into going that route, the expense was high enough that I gave up on the idea.
Some of these solutions for electroplating silver plating contain cyanide.
True, but then, so do peach and apricot pits

Zonie- I too read that all or nearly all colts sold to the public had the silver plate over the brass but in a lot of the picture type almanacs most seem to be just brass. I know little on this topic. Has time just taken off the silver plate or any idea if some silver plated and others just brass?
I have this mint julep cup that needs new silver plate so I've figured I may do the trigger guard, back strap at the same time.

According to Flayderman's Guide, silver plating the brass grip strap and trigger guard started with the First Model Dragoon for the civilian sales. The military guns were not silver plated.

Silver plated grip straps and trigger guards were also used on the 2nd and 3rd civilian Dragoons as well as the 1848 Baby Dragoon, 1849 Pocket, 1851 Navy, 1861 Navy, 1862 Police and 1862 Pocket Navy.

You might notice the Colt 1860 Army is missing. That's because most if not all of them were made for the Military.

The early "London" pistols had silver plated brass back straps and trigger guards but the Brit's did not want pistols with brass parts.
This led to the "London" made guns which had blued steel back straps and trigger guards.

Because silver is a very soft metal, it is easily worn away when it is applied as a plating.
Silver also quickly reacts with sulfur to form silver sulfide (Ag2S) commonly known as "that black tarnished silver". A few polishings quickly removes it and the silver.
Of course, shooting black powder in one of these pistols with the silver plating exposes it to sulfur gasses so it isn't surprising that most original guns have little or no plating left.

Speaking of silver plating, I always thought it strange that the Confederate Spiller & Burr, the brass frame copy of the steel Whitney .36, had its entire brass frame silver plated.
This luxury, in the cash poor Confederacy seems odd to me. :hmm:

I'm not sure about the cash poor, it may have been manufacturing poor. It was more of a 2 class society than the north but there were certainly those with plenty of money. I'm always impressed that the uniforms on the Confederate generals were outstanding but many of the enlisted men were in rags. In the North, privates and generals pretty much wore the same uniform.
I didn't know those revolvers were silver plated. Thanks, I'm still on a learning curve.

I believe everything in your post is correct. I sold the "Colt made" (maybe, maybe not :hmm: ) reissues out of my shop in the 1970's. Definately plated and very attractive. Never shot mine enough to wear off the plating.
BTW, I have found those wipe on gold and silver plating products to be wuthluss as the plating wears off very quickly. For items to be displayed only they might be OK but for handling, fuggitit. :td:

The Confederate in rags is somewhat of an early war thing once the depot system got rolling and Tait jackets from England were coming it mostly went away

Check Caswell Plating they make electric kits that aren't very expensive and work well

The most inexpensive silver plating kit Caswell offers at the moment sells for $55.

It is a brush on electro plating kit and so it does apply a much thicker coating than the wipe on paste I used.
Whether someone wanted to spend the extra money for a little thicker plating is up to the individual.

http://www.caswellplating.com/plug-n-plater-silver-plating-kit.html

I should mention, plating some metals requires first plating them with another metal first to act as a base for the final plate material.

Fortunately, silver plating can be applied directly to brass parts if they are totally clean.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back