• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Should cock and bridle wiggle against lock plate after press fit?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laagamer

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Howdy everyone!

Putting my lock back together for the first time. I press fit the bridle>lock plate>cock back together in my vice.

I went about as far as I can, and there's still a bit of give in it. It wiggles against the lock plate with a space. Forgive the terrible video, but I tried to capture it for you guys.

Should I try again? I don't remember there being a lot of wiggle there...

Well, that's strange. There's a video in the one I'm looking at.
Screen shot.
1708835321800.png

You're on mobile, friend.
Yep, but with WiFi signal. First time in a very long time, I remember not seeing a posted video. Nothing to see on iPhone or iPad. Guess there is nothing to see here or any ‘wiggle’ to comment about. Plenty of others with correct hardware will chime in. Carry on.

Last edited:
I was mistaken in the video. I don't actually believe there is a bridle. Only a tumbler.
Looking at the video I don't see any mounting holes for a bridle so this lock might not have a bridle. That play/wiggle you are experiencing is normal with a lock without a bridle. Once you assemble the lock with the mainspring a lot of that play/wiggle will be reduced or eliminated because of the mainspring applying a downward force on the tumbler. Your lock plates tumbler hole will eventually wallow out and the lock will be sloppy. Just a fact of life with this kind of lock. Good luck and have fun. By the way the next video you make put some paints on - or have your girlfriend show her legs instead of yours :thumb: :dunno::ghostly:

Looking at the video I don't see any mounting holes for a bridle so this lock might not have a bridle. That play/wiggle you are experiencing is normal with a lock without a bridle. Once you assemble the lock with the mainspring a lot of that play/wiggle will be reduced or eliminated because of the mainspring applying a downward force on the tumbler. Your lock plates tumbler hole will eventually wallow out and the lock will be sloppy. Just a fact of life with this kind of lock. Good luck and have fun. By the way the next video you make put some paints on - or have your girlfriend show her legs instead of yours :thumb: :dunno::ghostly:
Hahahaha thanks sir that end got me rolling over here 🤣🤣🤣 Will do!

It's a cheap traditions lock, so that's not a big deal. I bought the gun to learn on. So, it'll just get more and more loose over time the more I take it apart? I'll try and not do that too much then 👍 I took it apart to learn how to polish and smooth parts.

It is expected to have such play in low priced locks.

It is a result of sloppy fit. A high quality lock with not be sloppy. Slop in the tumbler and sear fit result is a long mushy trigger pull.

I don't offhand remember which firearm, but I do remember reassembling a lock and being concerned about a little play after I got the cock seated to the tumbler. I went with it because the surfaces of the parts lined up as expected after pressing them together. And in the end the play turned out to be a non-issue. I wouldn't worry about it. Just put the thing together and shoot it. ;)

It is expected to have such play in low priced locks.

It is a result of sloppy fit. A high quality lock with not be sloppy. Slop in the tumbler and sear fit result is a long mushy trigger pull.

Well, that explains why this cheap traditions deerhunter had a long and mushy trigger pull!

Back