• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shot Flask Horn

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shotflask.jpg

I need a shot flask to go with my Tulle.
I bought the irish head at Dixie Gune Works for $26.00.
Got the horn at Log Cabin Shop for $20.00
Little grinding and a few pins. All done.

Nicely done. However, while this might be useful at a range session, shooting clay targets, you will find hauling around all that shot in the field a royal PITA! Make up a small shot bag that doesn't carry more than 1/2 pound of shot( 8 oz) for hunting. For Dove hunting, where the bag limits let you do much more shooting, you can haul that horn along, because you will be sitting at a "stand " and shooting passing dove.

I made a small shot bag and put an Irish measure on it. I have since decided its too big yet, and I intend to reduce it in size some more. I think I can put more than 1 lb in the thing now, and that is just too much weight to be dragging my pants down, or cutting a groove in my shoulder when I use a shoulder strap on it.

Thanks Paul.
Your right it is too heavy.
I might order another head and like you said make one smaller out of leather. And attach a belt loop on it.

YOu might consider just cutting off about 4 inches from the back end to reduce the volume while leaving the nose work you did alone. That Irish meaasure is easy enough to open so that you can reload the horn with shot,( or empty it) fairly quickly with a funnel. Just measure out 8 oz or so of shot, pour it in to the horn, and then mark the horn where the shot ends to find a place to cut. Leave room for the new plug, and just build a new baseplug. You can even use the same tacks. Or leave the original base along, and you have a mug from which to drink. Just remove the strap, and hanger plugs to create a flat bottom.

Paul, well I would never survive with 1/2 lb. of shot. :winking: Heck my shot pouch is about 3lbs. and when you think of it, it is about 40shots worth. On a good dove day, I don't run out, but I may not really have any extra. I am shooting 1oz. loads so it is easy math to figure that 8oz. and I am out of shot! :(

Dave: That is why I carry an extra container of shot out to my " stand "( actually a barrel I turn over and sit on, and use to carry in my gear, and doves when I leave the field). I am using an emptied Liption Ice Tea container because it has a screw top lid, and is plastic, so it doesn't break. It carrieds several pounds of shot, or as little or more for whatever I choose. I have been known to use a plastic peanut butter jar for the same purposes.

My way of thinking is I would rather have to carry a couple of shot bags full of shot than to be carrying out my whole supply of shot. Since shot is sold in 25 lb. bags, Its hard to find volunteer help to carry that to and from the field. I also live with Murphys Law, and find that the number of dove that fly over me will be inversely proportional to the amount of shot and powder I take with me. ( ie., the less I take, the more birds will flock to me! The day I took more shot and powder, I didn't see any birds at all!) That is why they call it " hunting ", and not " getting ", I suspect. :rotf:

Back