• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Short starter & p measure

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nw_hunter

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I thought to conserve space in my hunting bag, I would make a short starter-powder measure combo. Has anyone else on the forum done this?

BucksRoses030.jpg

i don't use short starters for all but one of my rifles, having coned the muzzles of the remainder, but i think your idea is really good! ... simple, functional and well made... probably not PC, but i don't care about pc/hc (you can if you want to, just don't try to force me to think your way).

what's the material used for the rod?

I don't use a short starter either, but that's a great idea for those that do. People come up with all sorts of innovations to make this activity fit their needs. :thumbsup:

I made up one for a pistol I had in the past, I don't use a short starter much anymore so I don't have such a combo now.

I haven't made on for a rifle, But I made a combination powder measure/ "long starter" for my pistol. The ramrod that came eith the pistol was a real joke, It looks god but the thin steel rod dug into your hand something fierce. So since I was using my rifle short starter for all but the last three inches, I made one a little longer and included a 17 grain powder measure in it.

:thumbsup: i like it thanks now i know what my next project is going to be
neal

I have a measure that is double ended. 55 grains on one end and 75 grains on the other. A small spike antler sticks off one side. The spike has been ground down to a 1/2" long short starter to use on rare occasions. My .54 shoots to the same point at 25 yard with 55 or 75 grains of 2F so this set up saves powder on most close up shoots.

Many Klatch

Yup, I've made one for both flintlocks I hunt with. Very handy to use and fun to make (when I can't think of something else to make). :thumbsup:

Back