• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting Pistol With Bells Palsy

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pr.piburn

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Untitled36.jpg

PhilsGlasses.jpg

Lucky,
Go see a chiropractor and tell them your issues. My wife had Bell's Palsey and then a relaspe. Have the doc massage the muscles and nerves on the affected side. It will help. You cannot tell my wife ever had it except when she is very tired or under stress. She could not close her eye either and she can now. Bell's Palsey is a virus attacking the nerves that control the facial muscles. The nerves swell is my understanding where they come out of the head under the ear. I am not a doc or even an old medic, just man who has been married to the woman for 34 years and happy to see her back to what is close to normal. Goood luck. The cardboard blocker is an old military shooters trick also. Glad you figured it out.

Tough situation. The longer you live the more things happen just because statistically it catches up with you.
I have had shoulder issues in the past five, or so, years. I can no longer hold up some of my favorite ml guns. (Jaeger, Brown Bess, etc.) So, I have had to make adaptions to stay in the shooting game. I don't shoot well offhand anymore but am working on it. I understand your trials.
Hang in there and good luck.

barnettshale said:
Lucky,
Bell's Palsey is a virus attacking the nerves that control the facial muscles. The nerves swell is my understanding where they come out of the head under the ear.

Lucky,

I'm not sure if I told you, but I was recently diagnosed with Meniere's disease...... hearing loss.

SOMETIMES it can be aggrivated by viral infections in or around the ear canal.

My doctor prescribed PREDNISONE.

According to my doctor (an ENT) Prednisone is VERY EFFECTIVE at treating viral infections that have attacked NERVES.

I recovered 100% of the hearing in my left ear and about 10% of the hearing in my right ear. I had been living with about 70% hearing loss in my right ear for DECADES. To recover even 10% was a huge milestone for me. My left ear was my 'good ear' and I had sudden hearing loss of about 50% - out of nowhere - just like Bells Palsy - hits you out of nowhere and for no apparent reason. To recover 100% of what I lost is nothing short of a miracle of modern medicine.

I'm not a doctor and I don't want to give out medical advice. But I would strongly urge you to talk to your doctor about Prednisone. It's a CHEAP drug and it might be worth a couple months prescription to see if it helps you.

you got a great attitude, keep fighting, I like your solution as well. :thumbsup:

Chris, we digress here.
But, I believe you either misheard or misunderstood what your doctor said. Prednisone is a type of steroid. It will not treat infections. It may have a beneficial effect by acting on the nerves and muscles. But a viral infection requires other treatments.
However, bottom line is, if it improves your condition, that is what counts. Good luck.

I do know it is a steroid. Ya know, he did say that it's an 'anti-inflamitory' - so I probably mis-spoke in my earlier post. He told me it would reduce swelling in the irritated nerves and that would help with blow flow and circulation - which would in turn help my body to heal itself.

So you're right Rifleman. I did misunderstand what he meant.

Either way, I think our friend Lucky might benefit from a conversation with his own doctor.

Back