• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooting bag, R or L side?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumpkiller said:
...so I can pin it to my side with my elbow when stalking or ducking under brush/branches. (italics mine)

I notice no one has said "when running through the woods"! That conjures up quite a mental image of most of us "middle-agers" and "gray-beards"! :rotf:

Cooner54 said:
Who's Mark Baker et al?

I assume you are kidding? Of course Mark Baker is the adopted guru of the longhunter & trekking crowd. He has a bunch of running buddies (they turn up in his articles)--the et als. He is justifiably noted for his book Sons of a Trackless Forest (expansion of his masters thesis). He has written numerous articles for Muzzleloader Mag, some of which are now rebound into a two volume hardback set. He made several videos on 18th cent skills, gear, etc. His first book is a worthwhile read if you can find it (out of print). The appendices alone are worth it. They contain lists/ledger entries from a 1760s trading firm that employed hunters and traders on the Ohio &etc. Wealth of good data about what was available then and how things worked. Mark has been criticised [often unfairly] for a few things--like the prevalence of walnut dyed shirts--but he has done alot of research, both academic and "field experimental".

Mark Baker is a regular writer for Muzzle Blasts. Join the NMLRA to get that publication. He writes columns on " Trekking " where he and his friends spend days in the back country, learning how to live in a primitive, albeit ML longhunter style. They carry in everything they use, and live off the land to the extent they can do so successfully, shooting game in season, and fishing. He has provided excellent information for primitive shooters and hunters who want to know what really works, and why. That doesn't mean that his way is the only way, and I believe Mark has said so on more than one occasion. If he recommends a certain way of carrying a bag, he usually has a very good reason for doing so. Its worth the read.

Ridge said:
Baker writes for "Muzzleloader".

John Curry writes for "Muzzle Blast".

Correct. That is what I said. Mark USED to write for MB Mag but not in many years. Curry took his place. Curry's articles are very different from Mark's. Curry tends to relate period play scenarios that he and his buddies act out in the woods. Mark is more concerned with the experimental 'rediscovery' of how things were done, and in experiencing as much as possible the life of the longhunter through treks, etc into his domain. Of course, history cannot be relived. We cannot reconstruct it exactly, maybe not even closely. Think of a puddle of water on a table. Where did it come from? How did it form? When did it happen? etc...was it from a melting ice cube? Snowball? Spilt glass of water? Leak from the ceiling? Going backwards is hard. It is also impossible to completely suspend our 21st cent minds and learning and culture and "go back" to the 18th cent. But it is fun trying.

Thank you all for the great responses to my question, I really appreciate it!

It seems that there in no correct way to carry a shooting bag. It is a matter of personal preference.

I am a still-hunter and the way I carry my bag and powderhorn seems the most convenient for me. I have no problem using my left hand to do things even though I am right handed.

I load and shoot the old-fashion way using PRB, powderhorn, powder measure made from deer antler, pillow ticking patching and a patch knife cut from a siclebar mower blade with horn handle and a brass inline capper. I can reload using all of these items with my bag on my left hip and shooting right handed. I will continue to do it this way in the future.

Thanks again for the great replies!

Applejack

Thanks to both you and Mr. Brooks for correcting me. I have been reading MB so long that I associated his name with that magazine. However, he has been writing in Muzzleloader magazine for some time, and that is where you find his works. John Curry has his own view on primitive hunting and camping. I think Brooks did a very nice job reviewing both of them.

Mike Roberts said:
Cooner54 said:
Who's Mark Baker et al?

I assume you are kidding? Of course Mark Baker is the adopted guru of the longhunter & trekking crowd. He has a bunch of running buddies (they turn up in his articles)--the et als. He is justifiably noted for his book Sons of a Trackless Forest (expansion of his masters thesis). He has written numerous articles for Muzzleloader Mag, some of which are now rebound into a two volume hardback set. He made several videos on 18th cent skills, gear, etc. His first book is a worthwhile read if you can find it (out of print). The appendices alone are worth it. They contain lists/ledger entries from a 1760s trading firm that employed hunters and traders on the Ohio &etc. Wealth of good data about what was available then and how things worked. Mark has been criticised [often unfairly] for a few things--like the prevalence of walnut dyed shirts--but he has done alot of research, both academic and "field experimental".

Howdy Mike. Sorry I missed your response. Yes sir, I know who Mark is and I have met him and I have a great respect for him and his writings. However, he is not a primary source and he writes HIS opinion. When I put my own opinion on here I do not quote Mark Baker or any other contemporary writer as a power technique to back up my opinion. I think if Mark wanted to speak out on this he would do so. Mark is a big boy and can speak for himself.
I appreciate your right to express your opinion without the secondary source material being cited.
Cheers,
Cooner

I'm right handed. The possibles bag that my son and I share is always worn on the right hip, with the shoulder strap around the left side of my neck. This way I can get into it with my strong hand and dig for stuff by tactile touch. Less fumbling / dropping balls, etc. in the woods. It works for us, especially considering that the short starter is stored on the strap, where we can get to it with our strong hand and start a PRB that's already laying on the muzzle, held their by the weak hand.

All in all, at this point it's just a force of habbit...and safe habits are usually rewarded :wink: .

Dave

I also agree that this is a "to each his own, whatever works best for you" matter. However, here is some historical food for thought.

Madison Grant's book "The Kentucky Rifle Hunting Pouch" shows about 80-100 original bags. Most of these were post 1820 bags where the fashion seemed to be a horn/bag combo, where the horn is attached to the bag strap. For the bags like this that were pictured, only three showed a left-side carry (based on the horn). It is hard to get a feel for strap length from a picture, but many also appear to have been worn "high and tight", per Mark Bakers findings.

From what I have read on the subject, it appears that the earlier F&I and Revolutionary horns were typically larger and apparently carried on their own straps, separate from the bag. Grant shows a painting of Robert Rogers with a horn and bag on seperate straps, both being worn on the right side.

OK, how about a third option. For shear comfort, (not when fighting enemy combatants or wild amimals on the frontier) I prefer to wear these larger horns on their own strap on the left side, and the bag on the right side. This tends to distibute the weight better. You can pour into the powder measure in your right hand that is holding the barrel "muzzle up" with the rifle butt resting on the ground. Priming can be done from the bag. Just my nickels worth.

Top Jaw

It stands to reason that you would want it on your strong hand side for loading which for me is right, but I also carry my rifle at trail carry on that side, so they bump. I have been trying to keep it on my right to facilitate loading, but when I am just going through the woods and not likely to be doing a lot of shooting, it sometimes winds up back on the left.

CS

Cooner54 said:
Mike Roberts said:
Cooner54 said:
Who's Mark Baker et al?

Howdy Mike. Sorry I missed your response. Yes sir, I know who Mark is and I have met him and I have a great respect for him and his writings. However, he is not a primary source and he writes HIS opinion. When I put my own opinion on here I do not quote Mark Baker or any other contemporary writer as a power technique to back up my opinion. I think if Mark wanted to speak out on this he would do so. Mark is a big boy and can speak for himself.
I appreciate your right to express your opinion without the secondary source material being cited.
Cheers,
Cooner

Hmmm...I was not citing Mr. Baker as a primary (historical) source, but as the modern source for many people switching to high-up right side carry. Mark has done alot of primary source research, but I believe many of the things he writes about are his personal conclusions based as much or more on "doing" (so-called experimental archeology)as period accounts. I guess you misunderstood me--as I did your cryptic "Who's mark Baker" remark, given without explanation [until now]. [As for experimental archeology--because we 'moderns' figure out how to do something in primitive situations does not necessarily mean the old timers did it that way. Custom, culture, accumulated knowledge, superstition, etc all impact on how we solve problems...]

Man, your getting to deep for me! Ta think that this conversation all started over a simple "What side to carry my bag/horn question"? Does this mean we have to subscribe to some magazines to have shining times and be some with a charcoal rocklock smokepole?

Just giving you a hard time...Watch yur top knot!

Rick Froehlich :yakyak:

Im both handed, and fire a right handers flintlock.

I carry my horn on the left side down low at belt level, and my bag on the left side higher.

My pan charger is on a piece of rawhide and the other end in tied to the bag strap.

Right side just feels right to me. I clamp the rifle butt down & on the ground between my legs to load, holding the horn with right hand and measure in left while cradling the muzzle with left forearm and butt still on ground. After loaded the right hand is free to pick vent, knap flint, etc. while rifle is cradled in left arm across body.

As for running through the woods and crawling under stuff.....Fuggedaboutit. I'm 63 years old for pete's sake.

I'm weird, I guess. I'm left-handed, but grew up shooting right-handed, and am much more comfortable shooting that way. I carry my horn on the left, and my pouch on the right. Hasn't given me problems at the range, although I haven't spent time out in the woods with it.

Latest posts

Back