• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shootin' Josey Wales Style

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sure enjoy the videos! I wonder if some kind of a modification could be made to help the loading lever problem. That would make me crazy after awhile although I've read it was a common problem on the originals as well.
I bet a neoprene band around the barrel and loading lever would hold it and just roll it forward when the lever is used. MD

M.D. said:
I sure enjoy the videos! I wonder if some kind of a modification could be made to help the loading lever problem. That would make me crazy after awhile although I've read it was a common problem on the originals as well.
I bet a neoprene band around the barrel and loading lever would hold it and just roll it forward when the lever is used. MD

He did a mod in the beginning of the video.(He talked about filing a flat on the top of the spring "bump")
Some people use rubber bands or ladies' hair bands to hold the lever up.

Mike,
I have to tell you I get such a kick out of watching your videos. They are a pure gas! Thanks for taking the time. :thumbsup:

Have two Walkers, & tried it once. Yeah, a bit tough, but I had a stronger grip back then. Since the caps I had were too small, got a lot of clicks when the caps blew off; lost points.

duelist1954 said:
I got a new Uberti-made Colt Walker replica from Taylor's & Co. and I couldn't resist grabbing my old ASM Walker for some Josey Wales action.

Eastwood made it look so easy...it aint..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk603K7RjyY[/quote]

Thanks for posting Mike! Always enjoy your videos and articles in the magazine.

Merry Christmas!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats how gunfighter class in cowboy action should be shot , not the sit up and beg style they enforce down here: ( aparently it takes 2 hands to hold a revolver ) :thumbsup: Well done :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

1601phill said:
Thats how gunfighter class in cowboy action should be shot , not the sit up and beg style they enforce down here: ( aparently it takes 2 hands to hold a revolver ) :thumbsup: Well done :thumbsup: :hatsoff:

Two hands? Haven't those boys ever seen or read how these guns were meant to be shot? Even the 1911 was made for one handed shooting!

duelist1954 said:
I got a new Uberti-made Colt Walker replica from Taylor's & Co. and I couldn't resist grabbing my old ASM Walker for some Josey Wales action.

Eastwood made it look so easy...it aint..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk603K7RjyY[/quote]

Mr B - I always enjoy your videos, and envy the ease with which you can just go buy whatever you like to the limit of your funds without a fare-thee-well. I have a Colt BPF second series serial #1816 - something that got me onto this forum many years ago, and a ROA and a couple of long arms, too. I also think its pretty cool to see you wearing appropriate duds to do your shooting in - here that would likely get you taken away in a small white van whilst wearing a sleeveless jacket that does up at the back.

I used to suffer the dropped lever look until I applied a small elastic band to it. Anybody who has noticed it over the years has wisely kept their thoughts to themselves.

Best for 2013!

tac

Last edited by a moderator:
I've read of some using their's with nothing but full loads. I'm curious as to how many of you that do find that it stresses the wedge or damages it in any way.

I've felt that I need one for hunting with, but if the load needs to be reduced I may as well use my Old Army.

There are fixes to every deficiency that the Walker is plagued by. And, after you make those fixes, you notice your Walker has morphed into a 3rd Model Dragoon. :haha:

Everything that was "the best there is" eventually got replaced by something better. As a buddy of mine said, that's why cops don't carry Colt SAAs today.

But it is still fun to shoot the old stuff and experience why the world moved on to something better.

rodwha said:
I've read of some using their's with nothing but full loads. I'm curious as to how many of you that do find that it stresses the wedge or damages it in any way.

I've felt that I need one for hunting with, but if the load needs to be reduced I may as well use my Old Army.

40gr of FFg in mine, I'm afraid. Call me a pussy-cat if you will. The very first time I shot mine using a 35gr load of Pyrodex P it bent the wedge like a banana, and I had to use a Dremel to remove it - my efforts to get a new wedge out of Colt Blackpowder Firearms of Brooklyn NY were what got me onto this site in the fust place, so it wasn't ALL bad.

tac

I have tried that with my pair of 1858 Remingtons. That was interesting enough. I can't imagine doing that with a pair of fully loaded Walkers. I found it was much easier to shoot up one cylinder and then switch guns.

Many Klatch

Depending on the load, the lever drops on my Uberti 3rd Mod. as well. I have to use the rubberband trick too. :thumbsup:

nilo52

I tried this using my Dragoon and my '58 and it was acutally alot of fun ! Asymetric of course.
nilo52

Latest posts

Back