• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shooters Box Plans...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sham66

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy!

I would like to build, or attempt to build a shooters box like the ones in the Dixie Gunworks catalog.

Does anyone know the locations of these types of plans?

Thanks as usual.

James

James,
I have built several over the years. Some got thrown away some got put away and some got used. The best way is to look at a few your buddies have and use your imagination as to modifying it to your needs. You can go to a good wood working shop that sells to wood working hobbyists and get plans for a machinists box and modify from that basic style. Just my 2 cents.
Mark

Before you invest in cabinet grade wood or sending to Dixie for a shooter’s box (at $125-150) consider this. How period correct is a shooter’s box”¦.. Not tooo for 1770-1850”¦”¦ so now you’ve crossed over that deterrent. Wood verses Metal should be of no great concern versus PC now. SOOO ---Check out a mechanics tool chest. One with a top lid compartment with 2 drawers on the front. There is one at Harbor Freight for $24.99 listed right now (item 47489-1 vga) and I believe there’s even a cabinet for it to rest on. Here’s the thinking on this. Before you expend any money or extended time on building a wooden shooter’s box -----try a metal one, to see what makes you happy. Stuff you will find out : Do I need bigger drawers, deeper drawers or more drawers but not as deep. What manure am I going to put in the drawers. How do I want to separate my treasures? Once I put my stuff in the box can I lift it or will I need a crane? Try the metal route first ”¦.. I have seen guys make boxes and it’s kind of like seeking the holy grail”¦.. this one doesn’t do it ”¦. Gota’ make a better one. Most of the boxes, I have seen on the shooting line, built by the average guy don’t last long with constant use. Seems like a carpenter does well and a cabinet maker -right there. Stuff in construction ~ like how thick the wood is versus using nails, screws, glue, fiber glass reinforcement, wood corners/metal reinforced corners, drawer slides, carrying handle/handles. !!! Try the metal two drawer tool box idea . . . If you decide to go to the wood box construction then you will know better what your want , and what to plan for . . then use the metal tool box for around the home workshop, garage, or trunk of the car. As far as the shooter’s box that NRA shooters,
{the ones that use those cartridge guns} use, that have a slanted top and side cover that you can mount a spotting scope on. - - - Most of the guys that went that route, will admit -that it’s not that great for implementing muzzleloader shooting. It makes a great place to mount a scope, if you don’t have a tripod. Of course once it is focused on the target don’t screw around in the box. Yeah! Like that’s gon’a happen shooting a muzzleloader. Looks good on the pictures of a shooting line but has draw backs for someone that shoves a stick (ramrod) down his barrel before every shot. IMHO

I think Home Depot sells a nice wooden tool box. Take a look, you might like it. I use a Plano dry box. Not PC but it's just for range use.

Huntin

Boy, I have thought many times of building a great looking wooden box. The problem is, it becomes too heavy and too big. I feel that the metal or plastic tool or fishing tackle boxes are better, cheaper, longer lasting. I can also have a seperate box for the particular needs of each type or group of gun types.(perc.,flint, shotgun)

From the vitals listed on the left side I see your in my age bracket. I agree~ fish tackle boxes, auto mechanic's boxes are the way to handle MuzzleLoading STUFF. Cause one does seem
to accumulate STUFF in this hobby. And having
seperate compartments does beat the heck out of
digging for what ever in a pouch. Rearrange the
STUFF to one heart's content with a good compartment box.
Have ya made it to the point yet that you
get another box and pull things accross one at
a time weighing the value (for use) of each piece and now have two boxes of STUFF ... and what you always find out at the range .... that the one thing you need is always in the other box you left at home.
I like expecially the way the box gets heavier the more one shoots. Lead balls seem to accumulate giving it added stability in the weight area.
It's a hobby but yeah gotta develop a love for it.

I use a metal mechanics box I bought at Lowe's on sale for about $12. It has a tray on top and plenty of storage underneath. I am a woodworker, but I wouldn't build a wooden box. Too heavy, not as resistant to weather and banging around as a cheap metal one.
I use a plastic plano box for my (gasp!)smokeless powder guns.

I think the answer to a source of good plans is
There doesn't seem to be many of them out there. :grin:

I will through in my 2 cents worth by saying if you intend to use it very much, the joints should be dovetails or box finger style where there is a lot of glue area and interlocking between the pieces. :)

I don't know about Dixie, but we just build a standard wooden box high enough for a can of powder and spout. The back was wide enough for two cans of Goex to stand flat across the back and a bit of wiggle room between. It had a hinged flap top and latch on the front.

It was as long as one desired.

Then we put a bottom that extended past the front to be cut with a half moon gun holder. an L notch to hold a range rod, a groove to hold 5 round balls, a hole to hold a short starter and then placed a block of wood to keep it at the edge of a table or bench. This was the most handy device imaginable. Shelled out the money to have one made the first time that I saw it and still love it. I had him flip the arrangement as the original seemd poorly laid out for a right handed shooter.

CS

Doesn't sound like your getting much help from this goup. I looked for plans myself last year and didn't find much on the internet. I recommend something simple and sturdy. Try using pine for your first trys to make sure you get the dimensions like you want. It's light also. There's a lot of cheap brass hardware on eBay. I found the design process as enjoyable as the construction and use. Good luck.

If it is just for convenience and not for "old time feeling", go to a Wal-Mart. They have a sale of Husky tool boxes with wheels, collapsable handle, one enclosed box secured on the top of another compartment (removable), different small piece trays, velcro-pockets. Color: black and yellow and the best: ONLY $19.97!!!

Well this isn't a build your own or plans but for $20 I've got one for my flint locks and another for my C&B CAS pistols.
[url] http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lk...Id=104127-000016350-TW-TB9902&lpage=none[/url]

Last edited by a moderator:
After looking at Dixie's site, I see a couple of boxes.

Which one are you thinking of building?

I might be able to assist by giving you verbal descriptions and/or pics of my 2 boxes.

CS

I've been working on the same thing myself for the last month. I bought a box of brass hardware and a dovetailing jig off of EBay. My local woodworking store had some 1 X 12 cypress planks for the body. I plan on a pistol box and a rifle box.

Well "Sham 66" : It's been about 6 months since your inquiry on "building a shooter box." What did you decide to do? Build it? Buy it? Round to it??? Foo-eee it???

I know this is an old post, but here is the box I am using....
21346_10200174281908415_424227630_n.jpg

I have added a brass handle on top and some brass latches to keep the lid locked down.

Back