• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Shiny?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrTimboone

40 Cal.
Reaction score
TimsFowler9-8-07006-1.jpg

TimsFowler9-8-07001.jpg

TimsFowler9-8-07002.jpg

Hand Scraped Cherry Fowler stock with lye stain, garnet shellac filler/sealer and Chamber's tradition Oil Finish. Would you knock some shine off? How? don't want to loose the clarity.

For some reason or another I like a shiny finish, and haven't had any complaints. :thumbsup:

I do tend to knock the shine off a bit from the metal though, gives it a bit of contrast and not the just bought off of the shelf look.

I like the look of lye on on a cherry stock. :v

I don't think ou can dull that stock finish without losing the clarity, so don't try. There are techniques to dull the finish, but they will destroy that wet look clarity, and that wood is too beautiful to not let be seen! You might just put a good furniture wax, or even car wax on the finish. that will moot the gloss a little- I do mean a little- and not destroy the clarity. As to the metal, the brass will get a patina with age, but you can hurry it up by making a slurry of black powder and water, and use a cleaning patch dipped into that concoction to instantly darken that brass! Its the sulfur in the powder combined with water that make sulfuric acid that does that trick, and the carbon in the mix just helps to make an uneven darkening that also looks " original" . Try it on a separate piece of brass to see if you like it, first. If you don't have a spare piece of brass, try it on the back side of the buttplate. Like Roy, I like that shiny finish to the brass. They make all kinds of camo tape, or socks that can be put over a gun to hide its bright finish for hunting. I would leave this gun as finished, as I suspect it will spend more time at the range, than in the field. Just my $.02.

Dr: Tim: If you really want to moot that finish some, while not destroying that view, you can buy liquid pumice, in a very fine grad, and use a clean patch or cotton cloth to gently rub the surface. The fine pumice will dull the shine on that surface, while leaving the look alone. This is how fine furniture is done after either lacquer or varnish finishes are applied. Look for the liquid pumice in hareward and furniture stores. Some ar actually sold as " cleaners ", because they will dig out and remove built up dirt on old pieces of furniture. You may have to read the bottle contents to find this, as it is sold under different names.

The other method that works, that i have used on one gunstock, but requires a very light touch, and care attention to detail, is to coat the wood finish with a lot of motor oil- the thicker the better, and then dip OOOO steel wool into the oil and lightly rub the stock finish with the steel wood. You have to renew the oil in the wool often, and you want to do this lightly enough that you don't see much if any broken bits of steel in the oil. When you have done the entire stock, then you remove the oil and any steel wool with liberal amounts of alcohol. Rubbing alcohol works, and a bottle of this costs less than a dollar. You want to flush off the oil and steel bits, NOT RUB it off, which can scratch the finish.

I remembered these two techniques after my first post. Frankly I would rather use liquid pumice on the next project, rather than do the motor oil and steel wool technique again. It made me too nervous! But, it will work. A friend asked me if some of the additives in motor oil may not be responsible for chemically dulling the stock finish rather than my steel wool? I don't know the answer to that, as I am a bit short on knowledge when it comes to chemistry.

I agree with Paul. Any dulling of the surface will hide some of the beauty of the wood.

I'm sure folks have noticed that when looking into a smooth, clear pond, they can see every bit of detail on the bottom but if a little wind comes up and roughens the surface of the water, the bottom is difficult to see.
The same thing happens with wood finishes.

Now, if you are willing to give up some of the clarity to achive a less glossy finish, thats fine. Sometimes the duller finish looks better to people. It's all a matter of taste.

zonie :)

Man that is one pretty piece of Cherry!
The whole gun looks great to me!
I'm not usually a fan of high gloss guns, but the grain and character of that wood looks too good to mess with.

I agree with the poster who said" let use and ageing take care of it".

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Nice wood character! Don't change a thing! Let time take its' natural course. I’d let the brass get its’ own patina, it will dull slightly in a few weeks. Very nice, I am drooling right now!

Tim,

I think it looks great. Actually, it looks kind of like the old-time oil varnishes with dragon's blood or madder root in them that people like Eric Kettenburg, Chris Immel, and Bill Shipman work with.

I've read elsewhere that applying the Chamber's Oil Finish with panty hose cuts the shine down a bit, but I haven't done it myself. PM me and I'll tell you where I saw that. Like others said pummice or rottenstone would be an option if you want to dull it a bit. If you do it, try it on another piece finished the same way first to see if you like it.

Sean

With the details and fine wood on that gun, I don't think I'd change a thing. You don't see many with that nice of wood and that kind of shine. Makes it one of a kind.

:bow: Many thanks to Eric Kettenburg for his inspiration and guidance on the lye and shellac! :hatsoff:

One key learning... when Eric says put the shellac on thin and rub each coat back before the next, he means it. Too thick is a mess. Don't ask how I know.... Good news is denatured alcohol is a savior for cleaning it up.

I'll post finished pictures next week.

Thanks everyone for the encouragement.

Back