• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Muzzleloading Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

SOLD SEEKING a "TIRED LOOKING" FLINTLOCK MUSKET

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Friends,

I'm an ALAMO SHRINE docent & am seeking a flintlock military musket OR a "very Plain Jane" rifle for my "dirt-farmer" impression. = James Henry, the older brother of Robert Charles Red Fern, who emigrated to what is now Panola County, TX in the Spring of 1822.
(The real James H. Red Fern died shortly after birth in 1762 of what now would be called: SIDS.)

The Brown Bess was by far the most common firearm in early Texas, as the Bess was sturdy, cheap to buy/trade for & handled everything from farm defense to fighting hostiles as well as small/big game hunting with RB or shot.
Further, at least 90% of new emigrants to Texas-Coahuila between 1820-36 were "flat broke", dressed in nearly worn-out/cast-off clothes, sometimes arrived barefooted (riding "Shanks mare") & came to colonial Texas to start over, get free land, were often "running from the law" and/or came to Texas to "escape unfortunate circumstances".
Such emigrants could NOT have afforded the "fancy" rifles/shotguns/pistols that are often seen at reenactments.
(One of my ancestors arrived at Nacogdoches in 1829, on foot & with exactly 8 cents in his pockets, according to a period document.)

A "well-worn" but safe to fire Bess would be fine for my purposes, as would any number of other late 18th Century & early 19th century "military surplus" or civilian muskets. = I would happily repair/refinish a musket for my use.
(I see no good reason to buy a new Bess/musket & then "mess it up" to look as if it had been on many a long campaign of the AWI or War of 1812.)

IF any member, who may be reading this thread, HAS such a suitable long-arm that is "surplus to your needs" & wishes to sell it, please PM me OR send me an email to: [email protected]

MERRY CHRISTMAS & THANKS.

yours, satx

Last edited:
I think he threw in an extra "B"?
Back to the top,,
needs to be done on some forums as listings can quickly fade to a second page with high activity

Friends,

I'm STILL seeking a "worn-looking" & "well-used" flintlock musket or "Plain Jane" country rifle, rather than an EXPENSIVE original OR a new firearm.

Note: Several of our members have messaged me with "laundry lists" of ML builders/retail vendors, who sell NEW firearms.
Another of our members sent me an offer of a VERY beautiful & "new-looking" reproduction of a 18th Century military-musket. = That musket is simply "too purty" to "mess up" for my TX emigrant/dirt-farmer impression.
(One of our newer members told me that DIXIE GUNWORKS sells muzzleloaders, "- - - -- and lots of other interesting things." = We ALL started at "near zero" when were were neophytes.)

yours, satx

Hornguy,

Have you seen any of the Nepalese flintlock "kits" that that are currently offered for sale?

2 members of our "retired military breakfast club" have bought one of the Brown Bess "kits" & neither appeared to be suitable for even a major rebuilding/renovation.
(Both members got a decent, semi-completed, new-made stock & what looked like a JUNK-pile of rusted-out/heavily pitted metal parts.)

yours, satx

upload_2019-1-7_7-24-25.jpeg

Satx, I haven't seen any of the kits they offer for sale. I have only viewed pictures on their site. My interests are only in original pieces from the F&I and Rev war period and in original flint condition. They have some excellent pieces like 1st model Besses but they are up there in price...nice to browse and view them.

Check out Middlesex Trading Company, for $650 you can get a Long Land Brown Bess, he does layaway too. The muskets are made in India. You'll pay more than that for a beat up Pedersoli. I believe he'll even "antique finish" it for you, i.e. make it look well used.

http://www.middlesexvillagetrading.com/M1BB.shtml

Hes a good guy ,I have a P53 Enfield on layaway there.

Stantheman86,

Fyi, I'm NOT looking for a NEW musket/rifle. Nonetheless, THANKS for the link.

I've been messaged by a forum member who has a late 18th Century French military musket that he is mailing me photos of.
IF that musket is as suitable to my needs as it sounds, I will purchase it & close this ad.

We'll see, SOON.

yours, satx

To All,

RECEIVED a suitable smoothbore musket that's suitable to my needs.

THANKS to all who tried to help.

yours, satx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back