• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Secret Organic Stain Formula

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterbh

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I must admit to accidentally finding one of the better maple stain formulas. One of my evil Arabian stallions pulled a thick maple gunstock plank out of the barn and over to my manuer pile which was quickly covered in manuer and horse pee all Winter. When tractoring the pile to the compost pile this Spring...there it was. I sprayed it down and plained off the surface and ...behold...it was beautiful! Not that I'll ever explain the secret formula to the buyer.

Danged A-rabs :nono:

Let us know the results when you talk yourself into trying this method on a stock. Any pic's of the finished product?

The ammonia from the urine will turn the wood darker. Furniture makers use this all the time. I've used it on a gun rack made of oak.

Cat pee will turn oak black, so I'm sure this stuff will darken about any wood. I'd have a problem with working the wood or shooting the gun after stocking it though. I've mucked out stables before and that ammonia about wore me out. :barf:

I'll stain your wood if you muck my 17 stalls. After all, the world is smaller than ever before and West Virgini isn't that far from Central Oregon anymore.

PeterBH said:
I'll stain your wood if you muck my 17 stalls. After all, the world is smaller than ever before and West Virgini isn't that far from Central Oregon anymore.

Well, that was a short stint while I was laid off several years ago. Wrestling Morgans and being bit from behind by young Arab stallions ain't exactly my idea of job satisfaction. And I ain't gettin' any younger. My back ain't in as good a shape as it was. I'm afraid my mileage costs and per diem would make me too expensive.

Thanks for the offer though! :thumbsup:

Cat urine has the highest concentration of Ammonia of the mammals. That is why it both stinks so much, and also discolors wood so quickly. Pour straight ammonia on any wood scrap to see what ammonia will do. Most households have a bottle of ammonia under the kitchen sink for cleaning.

I wouldn't know about crat pee. I live on a ranch surrounded by National Forest in a deer/elk Wintering area. Evry time a feral crat shows up, it gets et by a coyote. I shoot about 40 a year and that is a lot of BP cleaning. Too bad I lost that experienced stall cleaning guy. They are hard to find.

PeterBH said:
I wouldn't know about cat pee. I live on a ranch surrounded by National Forest in a deer/elk Wintering area. Evry time a feral crat shows up, it gets et by a coyote. I shoot about 40 a year and that is a lot of BP cleaning. Too bad I lost that experienced stall cleaning guy. They are hard to find.

Hmmm, now you got me wondering if you lost the stall cleaning guy to the cats, coyotes, or the ML rifle? :grin:

It has proven handy for keeping mortars & machine gun barrels cool...but that is a later time frame than that in which we are interested.

PeterBH said:
It has proven handy for keeping mortars & machine gun barrels cool...but that is a later time frame than that in which we are interested.

Yeah, that has nothin to do with the stripes of my Maple. :haha: :v

-----in the heat of battle I'd be too nervous to pee-----let alone hit the hot barrel with out dropping LIL WILLY on it-----OUCH :surrender:

Back