• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scored some lead

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerman3133

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Company I worked for at one time is eliminating lead from the workplace, so a friend that still works there gave me about 50lbs of almost pure lead. Now 50lbs of wheel weight wouldn't last me 6 months between the 45-70 and my 45 Colt, but in the Hawken it should make enough balls and maxis to keep me shooting a while. My problem is, 25lbs of it is in one big brick, much too large to even fit in my melting pot, so I have to find a way to cut it down to size. I have about 300lbs of wheel weights, but they won't last very long, hopefully the price of lead will slide now that the Chinese supposedly aren't putting it into our toys.

Dave

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

cool

A fella was at our monthly match a while back selling lead hunks salvaged out of some kinda x-ray set up or other. I bought a 24 pound chunk.

Initially, I thought about cutting it up with a hack saw, but decided that would be too messy and time consuming. So now my plan it to try and whack off a bit using a cold chisel. Haven't tried it yet. Any thoughts from the collective?

Cheers,
Bill C.

Not a easy job. I cut up 40 lb bars and I tried everything from a sawsall, bandsaw and hacksaw.
Nothing worked really good so I did the hammer and chisel method. Use a heavy hammer!

I bought a bunch of 2 foot long ingots years back. The easiest way I've found to cut off pieces is to set an axe on it and hammer the back. Yeah, I know I'm not supposed to hammer the back of it, but it I wear eye protection and it hasn't caused any problems yet. Slices through the lead easily.

You can use a HOT tourch outdoors and start melting a corner, let it drip into ingot molds or cup cake tins. Much easyer than trying to cut it.

Tried the cold chisel method using a sledge axe and a wedge, worked like a charm. It was still a good bit of work.

Dave

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks." Thomas Jefferson

do you know a welder that has a torch set-up at his home? an oxy-acet torch will melt that stuff toot-sweet. melt it into cleaned out cans atop a peice of sheet metal (to catch the spillage). hopefully he is a BP shooter too so he may do the task for some lead. I know I would.

I thank goodness that I work in a Dealership because I get all the used Adhesive Wheel Weights for free that I can scrounge while balancing tires & what not.

I also have a Sweet line with our dealer that supplies our weights to sell me all the Adhesive Wheel Weights that he separates from his other stops for $.50 a pound.

i drilled mine..drilled holes in a straight line, close together then broke it off.. not hard to do,,an melts fast! :wink:

NM50

I've tried most methods mentioned above to cut lead. By far the easiest and fastest way that I have found is to use a circular saw. Be sure to wear goggles because of the little lead chips.
It worked for me, maybe it will for you.

H.Hale

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, I got it all cut down to size, and melted into ingots today. Now I need to find another source for pure lead, way I figure it, I have enough for 2000 RB right now, I can also use wheel weights for RB, but not for the maxi-balls if I can ever find a mould.

Dave

Back