• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Schuetzen powder?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
But you have to admit that if everybody used the search function properly that would eliminate at least half the future threads. ;)
I honestly enjoy the flowing conversations that evolve in these open ended threads and I encourage people to start new threads.

So, what, we want people to search and read threads from 2004 started by people who are probably not active on the forum anymore or unfortunately have passed away , and either comment on that making a Zombie thread or just not seek to start a new convo at all......

Or ask a question like the OP did and get fresh info and encourage new conversation

Schuetzen is awesome powder, I love it. I probably burned 5lb of it this summer just shooting .58 rifles and another 5lb through revolvers

I hope Wano keeps pumping this stuff out

I agree @Stantheman86, all part of the exchange of knowledge and entertainment.
Yep. I always loved “coffee time with the rookies” at the firehouse kitchen table. Many times got a “curve-ball” question that got us all thinking and looking at old things/techniques with fresh eyes.

Yep. I always loved “coffee time with the rookies” at the firehouse kitchen table. Many times got a “curve-ball” question that got us all thinking and looking at old things/techniques with fresh eyes.
The exchange of ideas from a seemingly mundane question is how I've learned and expanded on a lot recently

I would never have found out that shotgun primer adapters for muzzleloaders were developed in the 1860s , if not for a recent forum conversation about something entirely different.

While I use GOEX primarily, I acquired a few pounds of 3F Schuetzen(not from Grafs). I compared it with GOEX 3F in my 50 cal. Accuracy, POI, and cleaning effort between the two seems quite comparable using the same load parameters.

I honestly enjoy the flowing conversations that evolve in these open ended threads and I encourage people to start new threads.

So, what, we want people to search and read threads from 2004 started by people who are probably not active on the forum anymore or unfortunately have passed away , and either comment on that making a Zombie thread or just not seek to start a new convo at all......

Or ask a question like the OP did and get fresh info and encourage new conversation

Schuetzen is awesome powder, I love it. I probably burned 5lb of it this summer just shooting .58 rifles and another 5lb through revolvers

I hope Wano keeps pumping this stuff out
I agree 100% about the search and old threads. Many times the search is irrelevant or you spend a lot of time reading threads and still dont find your answer. "Search" only works well if you know something is there or you have extra time to sit and read through threads that may or may not mean anything.

I read a bunch of threads here before I joined. And I called Grafs and spoke to them.
I ended up ordering their blend. It shoots well for me. Sometimes I'll switch between Goex and Grafs and I can't tell the difference. Neither can my gun.

Anyway, on the Schuetzen. It didn't seem all that much above the Grafs or the Goex to me from my research and speaking with Grafs. Maybe I don't know what I'm missing. Hah!
Depending on when you ordered Graf’s powder, it used to be supplied by Goex, and is now (due to Goex being out of the business for a bit) supplied by Schuetzen (I believe). So, if you are shooting Graf’s house blend, you are either shooting Goex or Schuetzen.

I get a kick out of people searching old threads and then responding to a question that was asked several years ago. That way, other people can see Zombies without the bother of searching for them.
Agreed. Sure, most questions have been asked and answered at least once on this forum, and search is a very useful tool, but I think sometimes someone new asking the question afresh, does engender some new info, or at least freshen up the old threads.

What you’re missing is the really good stuff- Swiss
I agree totally!
While others are waiting on Goex to return, I continue to shoot Swiss & Schuetzen regularly.
Both are VERY reliable.
I still have 3.5 pounds of 3F Goex, but prefer the Swiss/Schuetzen instead.
Easy to find and plenty of it out there.
Below is Schuetzen being tested "upside down"...
Keep on shooting my friends.

Last edited:
I have been shooting Graff's fffg by Wano ( Scheutzen ) for the last few years and it has performed well in both my Lyman GPR 54 and my "Cap and Ball" pistols. I was able to find a pound of GOEX a while back but haven't tried it yet. I don't have any experience with any other black powder but compared to Pyrodex RS it is much easier to clean out of a barrel.

I will probably try some Swiss sometime but the performance I am getting with standard Graff's/Scheutzen from my guns is excellent . The higher velocity I might get from Swiss probably would not cause me to spend extra money for it. But like most of us I like to tinker with stuff.

Depending on when you ordered Graf’s powder, it used to be supplied by Goex, and is now (due to Goex being out of the business for a bit) supplied by Schuetzen (I believe). So, if you are shooting Graf’s house blend, you are either shooting Goex or Schuetzen.

Exactly. I read that, too.

I have been shooting Graff's fffg by Wano ( Scheutzen ) for the last few years and it has performed well in both my Lyman GPR 54 and my "Cap and Ball" pistols. I was able to find a pound of GOEX a while back but haven't tried it yet. I don't have any experience with any other black powder but compared to Pyrodex RS it is much easier to clean out of a barrel.

I will probably try some Swiss sometime but the performance I am getting with standard Graff's/Scheutzen from my guns is excellent . The higher velocity I might get from Swiss probably would not cause me to spend extra money for it. But like most of us I like to tinker with stuff.
Higher velocity is only one reason to use Swiss. Accuracy and fouling are others. Consider if you keep your velocity the same, you use less Swiss offsetting the higher cost with the side benefit of less fouling

I agree 100% about the search and old threads. Many times the search is irrelevant or you spend a lot of time reading threads and still dont find your answer. "Search" only works well if you know something is there or you have extra time to sit and read through threads that may or may not mean anything.
I mean if people are so hot on "searching " you can search the entire internet and probably find info that is probably incorrect on another gun forum from 2006. I do enjoy seeing the old prices though. People complaining about $4 caps and $20 black powder for the Pedersoli 1861 Springfield they just paid $750 for and also picked up a $110 .44 Brasser. I'm always like , I miss those prices.....

In 20 years people will be searching all like , man I miss buying blackpowder revolvers over the mail....

I get a kick out of people searching old threads and then responding to a question that was asked several years ago. That way, other people can see Zombies without the bother of searching for them.
I myself have revived some Zombie threads by accident by searching, then I come across a thread on this forum after a Google search and end up giving advice to a guy who was thinking about buying an ArmiSport Enfield 15 years ago......then I'm like oh ok he probably bought it by now sorry...

I myself have revived some Zombie threads by accident by searching, then I come across a thread on this forum after a Google search and end up giving advice to a guy who was thinking about buying an ArmiSport Enfield 15 years ago......then I'm like oh ok he probably bought it by now sorry...
I've heard the term "necrothread" ie threads that return from the dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back