• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rum...the PC libation. What do y'all recommend?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

noahmercy

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I am well versed in the finer bourbons, tequilas, vodkas, and gins (haven't been able to develop a taste for Scotch). The one thing I have little experience with is rum. In mixed drinks, I don't mind one of the Bacardi's, but I want something I can drink neat...and Bacardi just don't cut it. I was looking at a bottle of Prichards' at the liquor store today and it seems like it was made the "old way". Is this stuff any good for sippin' or should I look elsewhere? I'd very much enjoy showing up at a rondy or BP event with a flask of something to share around (AFTER the shooting's done, of course) that is as close to what "they" drank "back then" as I can get. Unfortunately, I can't get Pusser's here or that would be my first choice.

Opinions eagerly sought, ladies and gents...and the rest of you, too! :thumbsup:

Barbados rum would be the one to bring.Mount Gay makes a "sipping" rum as does Cockspur.The cheaper Mount Gay would probably be pretty close to the old style too since it is a tad rough but still better than the Puerto Rican stuff. :m2c:

The cheaper Mount Gay would probably be pretty close to the old style too since it is a tad rough but still better than the Puerto Rican stuff.

Amen to that! Mount Gay can be made a little smoother, though, with the addition of a little raw sugar. It sometimes takes a little effort to get it (the sugar) to dissolve completely unless you heat it up. The alternative (read lazy man's method) is to add a handful of raw sugar, re cap the bottle and allow to sit in the sun for a day. Just walk by a shake it up every now and then.

...The Kansan...

Haven't seen Mount Gay here, either. Wyoming is one of the neatest places to live, but the alcohol selection is very limited. As I understand it, the government here determines what shows up on the shelves. I'd dearly love some Old Rip van Winkle bourbon, but there's none to be had in the Cowboy State. :cry: Oh well...keep those suggestions coming! :thumbsup:

Sir... The ONLY Rum to drink is (if you can find it) Appleton Black Rum. The distillery is period correct (goes back prior to the war of the american rebellion), and the cane is grown on the same fields as it was originally. The rum is dark enough to form a crust on chunks of ice placed within. Have not been able to find it for the past several years, though I've tried. Will have to contact Appleton directly and try to get it shipped here. Very dark, very mollassas flavoured.

Jim aka kiltiemon (Rum by Gum!!!)

Historically RUM would have been mixed with water to help make it pallettable. And also a little sugar helps as afore mentioned. Drinking rum, whiskey and the like, straight, is a habit perpetuated By the Hollywood hero. Mankind has been mixing their liquor for centuries to cover the taste of the cheap but plentiful refreshment. :yakyak:

Historically RUM would have been mixed with water to help make it pallettable.

HMMMM... :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

RUM + WATER = GROG! Wow! Very P.C. indeed! :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

...The Kansan...

Mont Gay isn't bad but try some Black Seal, it is nice and dark with a pretty unique flavor. Or even better do as our French brethern of the past did and go with a bit of L'eau de vie, Brandy. Brandy has always benn my favorite.

Joey kt:

I would not say that, I take my Makers Mark straight. Nothing he man about it. Just buy the good stuff.

Mr. Mercy,
We too have a very limited selection of rum. Sailor Jerry Spiced Navy Rum at 92 proof fits our fiddle the best; with a little water added (Grog). :)
Best Wishes

I truly appreciate all the replies, folks. I just got back from perusing five different liquor stores and they don't have doodly for a rum selection. Not a one of the various libations y'all have recommended.

So, I went ahead and picked up the Prichards'...wow! It is truly a delight. Despite being a barrel proof rum, it has more of a sweet flavor than any other rum I've tried...you can really taste a hint of molasses. It actually brings to mind a fine bourbon and goes quite well by its lonesome. I'll maybe try a little water in it tomorrow, but right now I'm really enjoying getting familiar with the nuances.

By the way, how much water do you add to make grog? Is there a traditional proportion or do you just add to taste?

Thanks again. I wrote down the suggestions above and if I get somewhere they have a broader selection, I'll be sure to pick up a couple of your favored labels. :thumbsup:

What about Myers's rum or Captain Morgan's? Myers's has only been around since 1879, not quite PC for a Rendezvous, but it is a dark Jamaican rum with a rich taste. Good with a twist of lime (and Coke, if you want to be totally un-PC... :p) Captain Morgan's spiced rum (Puerto Rico) is good straight too.

Do a google search for those two and it will turn up several sites where you can order rum on-line...might be a source for you - don't know about your state law on that though.
Patsy

I don't go for a minute in being that PC. If it were up to my tastes..either a good scotch or a good bourbon. After all..is some PC guru going to demand a taste of what is in your flask? Sheesh.

I don't go for a minute in being that PC. If it were up to my tastes..either a good scotch or a good bourbon. After all..is some PC guru going to demand a taste of what is in your flask? Sheesh.

:RO: Sounds like a promising 'voo job to me - I volunteer to be the camp PC-whisky-police! "What ya got in that there flask, boy? Better let me have a taste, or I'll have to confiscate it! Well now, I can't really tell WHAT this is, from just ONE swig, I better have another!" :crackup:

Umm, second thought, anybody know a good PC hangover remedy (besides a steaming bowl of menudo, I mean)?? ::
:eek:ff: ::
Patsy

I'm thinking proper Grog, is all limed up,
hence the term limys,
you can do a search for "grog" and get several recipies/
histerical background.

more grog capn bragg,\

it comes to mind that the army did away with the rum ration
before the mexican war? :p

After all..is some PC guru going to demand a taste of what is in your flask? Sheesh.

:RO: Sounds like a promising 'voo job to me - I volunteer to be the camp PC-whisky-police!

Umm, second thought, anybody know a good PC hangover remedy (besides a steaming bowl of menudo, I mean)?? ::
:eek:ff: ::
Patsy [/quote]

Hmmmm. A drink nazi!! Now there's a new calling for the Voos! Like the stitch counters, how does one "qualify" for this demanding position??!!! :hmm:

Speaking of PC, other than the menudo, I can't think of the traditional, period accepted cures for hangover.........so it looks like the food nazis will have to eat it! Yeah.......I'd like to see that ! :eek:

TexiKan
--------------------------
If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

how would your rifle like a shot of rum at the end of a hot day of shooting?will it clean a barrel? :crackup:

Latest posts

Back