• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

round bareld 49 colts

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krolick

40 Cal.
Reaction score
We were at the Wheaton Civil War show today. I was asked to look at an unusual 49 Colt. It was an original standard model, but like a few others I've seen over the years, it has a round dragoon barrel. So far, there's never been any documentation on Colts behalf on these, nor any conclusion by Colt experts as to their origins. I've often wondered if they're southern. They were quite found of dragoon style pistols - look at Leech&Rigdons and their contemporaries. Also there's this piece of history that suggests this might be a valid idea. John Slidell, the confederate diplomat to France(see the Trent Affair Nov 1861) had one of these as his personal side arm. It has a 5" round barrel with all the correct Colt markings and the back strap is engraved with his name. This pistol still exists. Is it possible an enterprising southern shop turned their inventory of 49's to round to make them more fashionable to southern clientele? GS

For those without a "FLAYDERMAN'S GUIDE", on page 88 of the 9th edition, Flayderman says the following about the round barrel Colt 1849 Pocket Revolver:

"... A fairly complete collection of the Model 1849 would require at least 200 revolvers. Recommended sources for all variations are Shumaker's Colt's Variations of the Old Model Pocket Pistol and the very recent, highly detailed Jordan & Watts Colt's Pocket '49. Among those details considered are markings, types of trigger guards, loading cutouts, loading lever latches, ...
An alleged variant that rears its ugly head occasionally is the so-called M.1849 with "dragoon type barrel" (part round/octagon). A few are known as far back as the 1930s; some thought to have been altered in jest to tease a fellow collector (in an era when the gun had but slight value). In the interim such pieces have even acquired some genuine aging. Regardless of fact that specimens appear in the Belden & Haven book and the famous collection exhibited at the Metropolitan Museum of Art, 1942 Catalog, the consensus of expert opinion is that no such variant was made. (The author exposed that 1942 fake in his own 1981 catalog.)"

Personally, I don't have a opinion about these round barrel pocket pistols but I do feel the round barrels found on the Confederate Colt copies were made round to simplify machining rather than being a stylistic feature craved by the gentlemen of the South.

Zonie said:
Personally, I don't have a opinion about these round barrel pocket pistols but I do feel the round barrels found on the Confederate Colt copies were made round to simplify machining rather than being a stylistic feature craved by the gentlemen of the South.

That is also my personal opinion. I've only seen it admitted once in period literature but would have to do some serious digging since I'm not sure which source it was in.

I'm hearing you but I refer back to the Slidell pistol. It was in the possession of that one family until recent times when it was auctioned off. Also, a year back one of these was dug up, I believe in Indiana, listed as unidentified. Viewing the images, it was a 49 Colt with a round barrel. Besides the nice appearance of the round barrels on the confederate navy's, machining them round is easier then setting up and milling flats. There's also a notable weight difference. Thanks for the input. We will see if there's some more ideas. GS

A through inspection would soon verify if it is indeed original and the barrel turned down at a later date .Personaly never heard of a varient like this that was factory stock. :)

Had some time to scan in the 2 pictures of 49 Colts that I have with dragoon type barrels. The color images are of the Slidell pistol circa 1861. The b/w is from James E. Serven's book "COLT FIREARMS". After some thought I wish I would have made an offer on the one I saw at the Wheaton civil war show last week.
GS
pistolsb_zps7da915ad.png
[/URL][/img]
pistols_zps3e0ad681.png
[/URL][/img]

Back