• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Rifle Purchase

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alandsal

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Hey Guys , I purchased this Italian made
Box Lock 45 cal. it has an alloy box , the
Gun looks like it’s well made tight and fit
tolerances . Some say , stay away from
these and I’ve heard others say they are
a good shooter . So which is it ? I’d like
some feed back . alandsal 75E63871-CA13-49BD-8692-83B0CC8E229B.jpeg
6E815E7C-8FEA-4FCA-B4DB-3A1D8A8FA2A5.jpeg

Since you've already purchased it, take it out and shoot it and give us your opinion on it. It looks like a beautiful rifle. Best of luck and above all, have fun. 👍

Just out of curiousity ... What's the alloy? That would potentially make a huge difference. Zinc, copper, tin .. not so good. 🙂

I have a brass 58 cal box lock. It’s seriously under valued in my opinion.

I would definitely go with aluminum (that is, if decent aluminum alloy). We have a 20 ga. O/U with aluminum receiver and it's great. Brass I'd be more picky about. But a good quality brass alloy should work very well too. I don't know the story of brass alloys in firearms, but in brass musical instruments, the quality goes from excellent (including some Chinese) to dreadful (Chinese and virtually all Indian). The classic knock on brass for BP firerarms frames (particularly in revolvers) is that it doesn't stand up to repeated stress and higher pressure loads. But again, that depends on the quality of the brass and how you treat it.

Hey Guys , I purchased this Italian made
Box Lock 45 cal. it has an alloy box , the
Gun looks like it’s well made tight and fit
tolerances . Some say , stay away from
these and I’ve heard others say they are
a good shooter . So which is it ? I’d like
some feed back . alandsalView attachment 124687View attachment 124688
Some have asked what is the alloy ? I think it looks like aluminum , magnet won’t stick

The hammer appears to be welded back together. The only way to find out if it is a shooter is to take it to the range and work with it. I bet you can make it shoot well. I wouldn't worry too much about the aluminum lock unless over a period of time the hammer bearing axle begins to wallow out the action. Even then it could be sleeved. Give it a work out and let us know what you think.

The hammer appears to be welded back together. The only way to find out if it is a shooter is to take it to the range and work with it. I bet you can make it shoot well. I wouldn't worry too much about the aluminum lock unless over a period of time the hammer bearing axle begins to wallow out the action. Even then it could be sleeved. Give it a work out and let us know what you think.
YES
The hammer is either welded back together OR a the top portion was lost, and they welded another section of a different hammer onto the original lower half, to restore the rifle to shooting condition.

Maybe light the bore and take a photo for us?

LD

I had one of those .45 Wesson clones in the 1970's, and had no issues with mine.

Mine, however, is not yours - so as stated above, it would be best to shoot/clean yours to determine it's worth to you.

I hope it works out well for you.

Thanks , as soon as spring arrives here I will take it to the range and give it a good work out and let you folks know the outcome. Alandsal

I had one of those .45 Wesson clones in the 1970's, and had no issues with mine.

Mine, however, is not yours - so as stated above, it would be best to shoot/clean yours to determine it's worth to you.

I hope it works out well for you.
I’m sure it will do fine .

Usually when some maker says "alloy" he implies Zinc alloy, like old toys were made of.
Get rid of this thing.
Now.
JKelly retirted metallurgist

It is hard (for me) to believe that ANYone would make a firearms receiver out of a zinc alloy. On the other hand, having seen some of the brass alloys made by some Chinese and Indian musical instrument makers ... 🙄

My Bride has one of those. “Dart” was the maker. Great little gun- she shoots it a bunch. For what it’s worth, a magnet sticks to the box. It may not be great steel, but steel it is. And honestly, have you opened it? The box is just the lock- there’s no powder or anything in there. And the barrel is proofed.
Jay

My Bride has one of those. “Dart” was the maker. Great little gun- she shoots it a bunch. For what it’s worth, a magnet sticks to the box. It may not be great steel, but steel it is. And honestly, have you opened it? The box is just the lock- there’s no powder or anything in there. And the barrel is proofed.
Jay
Yes I have opened the box and your right, no powder enter’s that area . From what I see , the breech plug is casted with the box
and is done with precision so when the barrel is turned on tight it lines up perfectly. I don’t think I have to worry about it. And the barrel has all the proof marks by the maker . Alandsal

I would definitely go with aluminum (that is, if decent aluminum alloy). We have a 20 ga. O/U with aluminum receiver and it's great. Brass I'd be more picky about. But a good quality brass alloy should work very well too. I don't know the story of brass alloys in firearms, but in brass musical instruments, the quality goes from excellent (including some Chinese) to dreadful (Chinese and virtually all Indian). The classic knock on brass for BP firerarms frames (particularly in revolvers) is that it doesn't stand up to repeated stress and higher pressure loads. But again, that depends on the quality of the brass and how you treat it.
Usually when some maker says "alloy" he implies Zinc alloy, like old toys were made of.
Get rid of this thing.
Now.
JKelly retirted metallurgist
I believe the metal is aluminum , and from what I can see is that the firing chamber and breech plug are of steel and where casted together , the box itself only contains the lock mechanism , no powder or residue appears in this area . The rifle
overall looks very well made , tight tolerances on all fit and finish , also I bought this rifle used and I’m sure it has been fired numerous times . So before I get rid of it , I will test it out and prove to myself
if it is a safe piece to shoot . Thanks for your concern. Alandsal

I owned one similar in the 70’s as a kid. Alum alloy receiver, decent but plain wood and a marginal barrel. Actually, had a hole from the stock attachment penetrate the barrel. Not really much of a shooter but a good looking rifle. The real issue was the breech/receiver interface. Reasonably light loads I’d only recommended. The hammer isn’t correct in yours. Finally traded it for a TC renegade, which I rebarreled and still have. Won many a match with it. Though, I did replace the barrel every 3-4 years. Douglas, Hoyt, green mountain then goodoein. Shot several 50’s off the x-sticks at 100 yds with it over the years. That is, when my eyes and body was able to.

Back