• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Replacement Stock for T/C Patriot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGClimbs

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I guess the old Patriot stocks are just fragile. I bought a supposedly unfired Patriot two weeks ago and even with relatively light loads (20 to 25 gr) the gun has two or three cracks. Sigh!

I will continue to patch and reinforce the obviously fragile stock (glued, screwed, bedded barrel, lock screwed into the stock, etc.) but I may not be successful. Maybe an exoskeleton of titanium is what I need.

Does anyone know of a reliable stock duplicating shop that won't cost more more than the gun is worth? A heavier stock and maybe one of stronger wood would be a plus. Any more clues on fixing the stock?

Thanks....Dave

I'm not that familiar with the Patriot. From looking at a pic of one I assume it's cracking in the grip area behind the trigger guard. Just a thought, could you remove the buttplate and drill a hole up towards the breech end of the barrel across the grain and glue in a dowel and then replace the buttplate? For what it's worth just an idea! :grin:

I am really careful with my Patriot. I want to avoid the problem of cracking the stock. Maybe I am just lucky, no troubles yet. I think I would look for a maple stock if I needed to replace the walnut one. I wonder how close the Traditions pistol stock is to the Patriot. Maybe it could be made to fit. :idunno:

The grip area is fine but it is fragile as well I'm told. I should have mentioned that the main cracking is on the left side of the stock from near the tang through the lock retaining screw (maybe 1.2"). I glued and screwed this plus re-bedded the tang. There is also a crack inside the pistol stock on the lock side and below the lock plate (tiny).

Good idea on the Traditions stock.

I can't help with a replacement stock except to say any good builder could make one from a plank of wood, just as was done for the past 700 years. To stop a crack from spreading just drill a 1/8" hole at the end of the crack and glue in a hardwood dowel.
I'm not certain but I think the somewhat similar looking traditions pistol uses a larger barrel diameter.

The Patriot does seem to have a flaw when it comes to cracking the stock. I think some people might over tighten the lock bolt starting the crack. I have seen some people load their pistols resting the butt end of the grip on a hard surface. The pistol gets whacked too hard and at bad angles for the stock. Then they might load the pistol a bit too heavy. The recoil does the rest of the job.
When I load my pistol, I hold it in my hand for the entire process. I don't let the butt come into contact with any hard surfaces. The holster I have also allows me to load the pistol using the holster for a rest.
If you are handy with wood, maybe the Traditions stock can be shimmed, and bedding compound used to fit the Thompson barrel. The lock would be a different story. It might not be pretty, but it would be interesting to know if it could work.

I shot about 50 rounds today using 23 gr of 3F Swiss and no problems with cracks spreading. Fingers are crossed. A bit more work chasing the incipient cracks and hopefully it will be good for a while.

Loading while holding the pistol is a PITA...now to make a proper loading stand that supports the 'thingy' at the top of the handgrip.

I forgot to mention that the tang was hitting the lock screw really hard...enough to peen the tang. This may have been the start of bad things. My bench grinder took care of the interference.

Now to find out why the set trigger failed to fire about every other round. Good for detecting 'flinching'. I love messing with guns :wink:

If you have not already done so; it might be worth contacting T/C. T/C has replaced quite a few Patriot stocks due to cracking.

Since their fire some years ago T/C may no longer be doing this under their lifetime warranty (warranty even applied to second hand guns).

Hopefully another member will post on T/C's current policy.

had a Patriot for a while, and the mark on the back of my butt is from me kicking myself for letting it go... try T/C - they're no longer making it, but they may well be able to offer some advice, absent that try contacting Dick Greensides at Pecatonica River.

'til then,
make good smoke!

Acraglas gel and threaded brass rod from Brownells. I have repaired several Patriots with these and they have been going strong for years. Throughout history, pistol stocks had this problem. A good gunmaker saved wood that had the correct curve in the grain to prevent grip breakage but even that didn't always work. I have handled hundreds of antique pistols and many of them have serious stock cracking that is not caused by the wood drying out. The use of loading stands and tight ball/patch combinations probably increases the chance of breaking the stock. I load my single shot cap & ball handguns holding them in my hand and save the loading stand for the metal-frame revolvers.

I also load my Patriot by holding it in my hands. Mine has no cracks and I have shot some heavy loads in it but I see no good reason to. It is not intended to be a magnum pistol.

TC will replace it if they have one, which I doubt, but, hey, its worth a try.

Back