• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Refurbishing T/C Hawken Stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimCunn

40 Cal
Reaction score
After fifty years of neglect, mine has its fair share of compression dents (not scratches) from being banged around in closets and the bed of pickup trucks.

Can these dents from being whacked be minimised by steaming or some other method?

Are there any recommendations for touching up or refinishing the stock?
I tend to like tung oil, but am open to suggestion. The stock doesn't look terrible as is - just sorta yucky.

I've not done steaming, but it is the usual process for compression dents in wood. I don't have a factory finished TC, so the best touch up is not something I have experience with either. Maybe a good furniture polish would be enough.

Yeah, I don't even know what finishing process T/C was using 50 years ago. Looks a bit like varnish. It has held up pretty well, except where it has been hit.

Compression dents will almost always respond to steaming them out if the wood fibers haven't broken or sheared off.
That said, steaming them out on a surface that has had oils or other finishes applied can cause the finish to change color or transparency.
On an oiled stock, this can usually be repaired by applying more finishing oil like linseed or tung oil. With varnish type finishes applying oil can help but sometimes the damage will still be visible.

Like Bubba says, strip the finish then steam the dents out. To steam them I use a wet rag under a clothes iron set on high. Sometimes it takes several applications but if the wood grains havent been broken the dent will lift.

TC finishes varied over the years. Some were a thin tru-oil like lacquer sprayed on that you could almost removee with your fingernail. Other times it was like a urethane armor or some such and required 2 or 3 rounds with the stripper.

With lots of stripper, patience, old denim rags and a plastic putty knife you’ll be fine.

Question: What wood did T/C generally use for the Hawken stocks?
Walnut? Beech? Birch? Something else?
I'm thinking of stripping my Hawken and refinishing with linseed oil or something.
(I also want to brown the barrel. Everybody and their extended family and their extended families families have a blued barrel.)

TC used walnut on all the guns I have fooled with.

I have put together one kit and built one Renegade from random parts. After you strip the wood you can make a much better looking gun by defining the lock panels, reducing the cheek piece and rounding the wrist.

I did this to the Renegade and Hawken lock panels;

lock panels 003.JPG

TC lock.JPG

This to the hawken cheek piece, I reduced the comb as well;

hawken cheek piece 001.JPG

Last edited:

I have put together one kit and built one Renegade from random parts. After you strip the wood you can make a much better looking gun by defining the lock panels, reducing the cheek piece and rounding the wrist.

View attachment 23776

View attachment 23777

This to the hawken cheek piece, I reduced the comb as well;

View attachment 23778
I’ve been looking for a project renegade and it’s flat amazing how many people attack those panels with an 80 grit sanding block destroying and blending the edges... aaarrggh!

I have a TC Hawken that a previous owner assembled. He did a great job also reducing the check piece and reducing/changing contour of the comb. It is better than any factory TC I have seen. He also browned the barrel very well. Go for some changes while restoring, some good guidance in previous posts. These guys know what they are doing. Polecat

I've not done steaming, but it is the usual process for compression dents in wood. I don't have a factory finished TC, so the best touch up is not something I have experience with either. Maybe a good furniture polish would be enough.
Antique dealers [and I] often use a product called "restore a finish". Good stuff but not magic. Dale

View attachment 23776

I need to do that to the lock panels on a double barrel CVA that I'm redoing, but I'm pretty leery to start carving on it.
They were pretty undefined but stripping it down got them more.

I need to do that to the lock panels on a double barrel CVA that I'm redoing, but I'm pretty leery to start carving on it.
They were pretty undefined but stripping it down got them more. Did you just follow the factory contours? In response to Eric Krewson''s photo

Last edited by a moderator:
Not exactly on the contours because the lock panels were very indistinct. I drew new thinner line around the lock mortise and cut to my lines.

The picture above is the Hawken, here is the Renegade, the L&R RPL lock didn't fit, not even close, all the stuff you see that looks odd are alterations I that to make to get the lock in and working. I had to put a shim at the tail of the lock plate to fil a gap.

renegade mock-up 005.JPG

Done;

finished Renegads 001.JPG

Back