• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Red’s Incredible Traditions Kentucky Build: Probably not what you would have done…

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
use camo duct tape ,not too much you'll never find it in the woods 🤪 . Bruce
My father wanted the first pic I posted on here to be wrapped in a big gob of tape, lol!
As brown and black as this thing is, I’m afraid to leave it laying around already. I can see where a guy could lean one up against a tree and not be able to find it again.
-Red, not too sharp, and bad eyesight…

Shipping and ease of manufacture. Dimensional lumber isn’t cheap these days. Making it two pieces an making you do the fit and finish is cheaper.
I’ve seen that in a few different things, absolutely none of which I can get to come to mind at the moment… this getting old thing, geeez.
Wait, one of them was the AirStream. The biggest weak point on those trailers is the steel frame and plywood subfloor. On all the old ones, you have to disassemble a major portion of the trailer and weld new framework, and replace the rotted plywood. The new ones are still built the same way. If they would put an aluminum frame, with a synthetic subfloor in, this problem would be eliminated, and it would only add a few thousand dollars to a 100k trailer. Seems like a smart business idea.
Same with Traditions. At least they could offer it… what would it add to the kit? A hundred bucks? They would still be cheaper than the next kit up by 250 bucks…
I’m probably missing something though. I’m not minding the two piece so much. I haven’t missed a single thing I’ve shot at with it yet….LOL!
Have you got your kit yet? Decided which way you’re going with it? I’m keeping my eye out for the build. Let’s get going!
Looking forward to shooting this thing, and also to the next build, which, according to the wife, will be waaaay in the future… CURSE YOU, RON DESANTIS!
-Red, missing Raul…

I’ve seen that in a few different things, absolutely none of which I can get to come to mind at the moment… this getting old thing, geeez.
Wait, one of them was the AirStream. The biggest weak point on those trailers is the steel frame and plywood subfloor. On all the old ones, you have to disassemble a major portion of the trailer and weld new framework, and replace the rotted plywood. The new ones are still built the same way. If they would put an aluminum frame, with a synthetic subfloor in, this problem would be eliminated, and it would only add a few thousand dollars to a 100k trailer. Seems like a smart business idea.
Same with Traditions. At least they could offer it… what would it add to the kit? A hundred bucks? They would still be cheaper than the next kit up by 250 bucks…
I’m probably missing something though. I’m not minding the two piece so much. I haven’t missed a single thing I’ve shot at with it yet….LOL!
Have you got your kit yet? Decided which way you’re going with it? I’m keeping my eye out for the build. Let’s get going!
Looking forward to shooting this thing, and also to the next build, which, according to the wife, will be waaaay in the future… CURSE YOU, RON DESANTIS!
-Red, missing Raul…

Wifey is getting a tattoo next week, so her fun budget has dibs. I’ll be ordering my kit shortly thereafter. I’m pretty stoked.

Remember when I told you, waaaaay back in the beginning of this tale, to prepare to be amused? Well, here we go!
So, I decided to join the two halves today. I got to digging around in some model airplane stuff I had, and found some plywood that we use for a firewall/motor mount that was the exact same thickness as the little brass plate. “Awesome!” says I, “This will be PERFECT!” And it was! I cut out a little plywood plate, slightly larger than the brass one that is provided, test fit everything together, and truly liked what I saw. So I went and grabbed the Elmo the Gorilla glue, and proceeded to glue it all together. Lots of glue, little plywood plate, two Kobalt squeezy clamps, and a length of blue surgical tubing, and I had it all snugly glued together!
I ate some lunch, got a good workout in, went to a friends funeral (well, that part sucked, but we are all headed that way. None of us get out of here alive) and helped my daughter repair a chicken coop that a huge limb fell on. No chickens were injured. Letting the thing dry. Came home about 6 and got to sanding. Man, it came out so well I figured I would go ahead and get the trigger guard in… but it wasn’t quite fitting the way it should. I know what you’re saying right now. “DONT BEND IT, RED!!!” And if I had listened, all would be well right now… so, I bent it juuuust a hair. And man, it was close! Just a hair more, and SNAP! I now have a custom two piece trigger guard. Yay me. I guess I’ll be trying to silver solder this thing back together tomorrow.
Lesson of the day: sometimes, close is good enough.
-Red, figuring it out as he goes…View attachment 218053View attachment 218054
I see you fixed the trigger guard, but you could call Deer Creek or Traditions and for a few bucks have a new one.

I see you fixed the trigger guard, but you could call Deer Creek or Traditions and for a few bucks have a new one.
I have plans for a new one. Will go with a slightly different style though. May even wait and make a whole new stock for this barrel, buy an L&R lock, get a double set trigger, and THEN get a new trigger guard. But if I’m doing all that, I might as well get that .36 cal barrel I want…
-Red, replacing the trigger guard with a new gun…

View attachment 218631
Shaped up the lock panel and the plate on the other side to match. The back end of it is easy peasy. The front side, not so much…
Finished browning the barrel, so I can get it mounted in there tomorrow, and start shaping the front end and the nose cap.
Still reducing weight on that fore grip. It’s coming along nicely.
And before everyone chimes in, I know, you think I should make the lock panel smaller so it is tighter to the lock… I would refer you to the title of this thread. After looking at TONS of pics of old rifles, this comes out real close to what I liked. There’s still more shaping to do at the tang, so some of that may change as that wood comes off. Will have to see when I get it shaped.
-Red, whittling away…
On the lock panel, you did good! Real good!

My father wanted the first pic I posted on here to be wrapped in a big gob of tape, lol!
As brown and black as this thing is, I’m afraid to leave it laying around already. I can see where a guy could lean one up against a tree and not be able to find it again.
-Red, not too sharp, and bad eyesight…
I got a Barbie Pink stock for one of my CVA rifles. It was made so I wouldn't lose it and it sticks out like a sore thumb so it increases my visibility. :D
Maybe you try something like that? LOL

Back