• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Re bore.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Is there a rule of thumb, as far as boring out rifle barrels? More preciously, I was interested to know what is the largest caliber you can bore a 7/8', new octagon barrel to?

Bottom line, I don't know, I held up a ruler to a 7/8" barrel just now and it looks like it might go as high as a .50 but a .45 would give you a lot more barrel wall. I think Getz made some .50 barrels out of 13/16" stock so .50 in a 7/8" barrel should be doable.

Don't know if there's a rule.
But a search of offerings by the makers, Rice, Colrain and GM, shows the largest they offer in a 7/8 is 50 cal.

Is there a rule of thumb, as far as boring out rifle barrels? More preciously, I was interested to know what is the largest caliber you can bore a 7/8', new octagon barrel to?
Existing holes drilled and tapped and dovetails cut in will be part of the equation. My experience with re boring with Hoyt is he wants to examine the barrel to determine that for sure. I had a one inch 54 that I wanted taken to 58 and was sure that holes tapped for a scope mount would prevent it but he was able to do it.

The overwhelming majority of Traditions barrels are 7/8ths with .50 bores. It's not even a question as to whether it can be done.

Time and time again folks say .54 is doable with a 7/8th barrel.

Leaves a .168 wall thickness.

Latest posts

Back