• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Range rod for .75 caliber smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Having found a possible source of hickory (dowel) rods my question is:
Would 5/8" diameter be a practical size (leaving only 1/16" circumferential bore clearance)? I want to use it for loading and wiping instead of the steel under-barrel rammer. Thank you and best wishes. Dave

I have a half inch working rod for my (77 caliber) Long Land Pattern Musket (Brown Bess). I like the extra clearance and I have plenty of room for the patches to bunch up and clean the bore. The accessories can be found to match the 1/2" diameter.

Thank you. I had originally gravitated toward the larger diameter to compensate for grain run-out in the dowel but I will heed your guidance. Best wishes. Dave

@Master Blaster, you should still pay heed to grain run out on any wooden rod selected to be a range rod. Wood species is also a consideration with hickory being the top choice. Hickory will be difficult to find in the local lumber yard. However species such as ramin can work if attention is paid to grain run out in a 1/2" diameter rod. Really you shouldn't need a super strong rod is you are paying attention to fouling build up. If it is becoming difficult to load the gun, a wipe with a damp patch will remove most of the fouling and loading will again be easier.

On a woods walk with my unit, all shooting the King's Musket, several members wanted speed above all else for a couple of the multiple target stations. Because they didn't clean the bore between stations, the third or fourth shot would be nearly impossible to load even with the steel rammer. I have a ball of tow tied to a string that I keep moist. Between stations I run the damp ball of tow down the barrel and pull a lot of fouling out. I rinse the tow from my canteen and I am ready for the next station. I didn't experience loading problems. In some of the scenarios our muskets will be loaded but not primed. Even then the wiping of the bore with the damp tow is a good practice. The coarse fibers collect the fouling but don't trap air.

Latest posts

Back