• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about TOTW true spark surface hardining compound

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I treated the frizzen on my Pedersoli Kentucky (it never was a really good sparker). Followed the instructions to the letter. Polished it all up and made sure the face of the frizzen was properly contoured and smooth as it was originally. No spark. New flint, no spark. To shorten this post, as I was "dry firing" the lock around 15 times, sparks increased gradually each time until I was happy with it.
THE QUESTION:
Has anyone else had this occur the same way? I thought it would throw a shower of sparks from the get go, but at least in my case, the frizzen needed to be broken in.
I don't recall reading anything in the instructions about it.

I could never get the product to work for me.
I replaced the frizzen for less than $50.00.

I'll give you the rest of it if you want it.
Is this the same man that has the YT channel?
What I did was sprinkle a large amount of the stuff on the frizzen three separate times with several minutes of the friz being held over the flame and kept orange. The final time, I kept it on the flame for almost five full minutes. It did harden it up, I found out when I had to reprofile the face of it. It was probably as hard as glass and that may be why it took so long to start to spark well.

Followed the instructions to the letter.
What I did was sprinkle a large amount of the stuff on the frizzen three separate times with several minutes of the friz being held over the flame and kept orange. The final time, I kept it on the flame for almost five full minutes.
Well you either follow the instructions,, or ya don't, in this case you explained to us that you didn't.
https://cdn.trackofthewolf.com/Pdfs/truspark/Tru-Spark-Instructions.pdf
So neither TOTW or the compound is at fault.
It is extremely difficult for folks that don't work with metals and/or forge on a regular basis to judge metal temp by color,
aka; red, cherry red, yellow, straw yellow, white,,, it's something that has to be taught/learned through many lessons.
I have failed myself with attempts using old Kasenit compound. Either spend the money like @B P Maniac says or make friends with a man that has a forge.
I know Bill, Bill has a forge. I bring a 20# bag of Cowboy Charcoal and a 12 pack, and Bill will let me turn the crank on his forge while he works his miracles,. Bill is a good man, he shares the 12 pack. 😇

Last edited:
Is this the same man that has the YT channel?
What I did was sprinkle a large amount of the stuff on the frizzen three separate times with several minutes of the friz being held over the flame and kept orange. The final time, I kept it on the flame for almost five full minutes. It did harden it up, I found out when I had to reprofile the face of it. It was probably as hard as glass and that may be why it took so long to start to spark well.
Yes......I have a black powder YouTube channel.
I was going to post this procedure on video to show others how its done...but...I was unsuccessful. I tried several different ways beyond following the instructions & failed.
Therefore, I deleted all the video footage and never posted it on the BPMS Youtube channel.
I found out it was easier to buy a new frizzen & after a 5 minute installation... I was shooting again.

Screen Shot 2023-06-03 at 11.15.35 AM.png

To answer the question. I just did 2 frizzens. I followed the direction to a T. I got good results with both, right off the bat. I'm not a Blacksmith, but can follow simple instructions. I had no choice because the first one I did was on a 43 year old custom trade gun and finding the correct frizzen to buy was not an option. That procedure went so well I did the frizzen on my Jim Chambers lock that was getting a little tardy with the spark. Everything I've learned in life was from trying to do things I have never done. At 67 I'm still learning.

Yes......I have a black powder YouTube channel.
I was going to post this procedure on video to show others how its done...but...I was unsuccessful. I tried several different ways beyond following the instructions & failed.
Therefore, I deleted all the video footage and never posted it on the BPMS Youtube channel.
I found out it was easier to buy a new frizzen & after a 5 minute installation... I was shooting again.

View attachment 225675
Did you order it directly from Pedersoli, or.....

Back