• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Question about a CVA .36 squirrel rifle.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silver Surfer

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I am buliding a rifle for my friends son. He is disabled and has alot of challenges in his future. My buddy bought a .36 Squirrel Rifle and I want to do the absolute best I can for the boy. It shoot really well, what I'm wondering is can it shoot the Lee .375 130 grn round nose safely with 50 grains of FFF. This may sound a tad on the extreme of the gun, but if the little dude want's to go BP'ing with Dad for deer it should work.

Just a thought, I look forward to your responses.

I'm not sure but A .36 caliber shouldn't be able to be loaded with anything larger than a .36 bullet . For a patched round ball a .350 with patch should be a tight fit . Here in Tennessee a .40 caliber is the smallest legal caliber for deer with a muzzleloader . watch yer top knot

I can't recall where I saw them, but at one time I think someone on the web was selling 36 cal TC maxis. That would be my choice, and more likely to fit the bore.

Buford has a valid point. May want to check the hunting laws in your state. The smallest caliber for deer here in Alabama is also .40. If so, you may be able to find a .45 caliber barrel to fit that CVA. As for those .36 Maxi Balls that Brown Bear mentioned, I've seen them on eBay every now and then. It's a great thing you are doing for that boy :thumbsup: . By the way, welcome to the forum :hatsoff: .

I don't think you can get a .375 conical to fit down a .36 caliber barrel. Those are made for the .36 cal. pistols, which are larger in bore diameter than the rifle.

Try using a standard .38( .358") Caliber Wad cutter, in that .36 rifle for a " conical. Keep the bullet length short, and the weight down. Use an OP wad between the powder and the bullet to protect the bullet from gas cutting.

DO Check your hunting Regulations to make sure such a small caliber rifle is LEGAL to use on deer in that jurisdiction. Even if such a caliber is " legal", It would not be my first choice for a deer gun, even using conicals. Most .36 barrels are designed with deep grooves, and a slow twist barrel- usually 1:48" That is too slow to stabilize anything but short bullets, and then only if they are screaming out the barrel.

I am assuming that one of the reasons you have chosen that caliber for this handicap shooter is to limit the amount of recoil he is going to feel when he shoots it. Well, if you start shooting bullets out of that barrel, at speeds approaching 2,000 fps., he is going to feel RECOIL. The standard lead round ball in these caliber guns weighs only 60-65 grains- and is the reason you don't feel any recoil- even at 2,000 fps. A .38 wadcutter will weigh 140-148 grains. There are lighter .38 caliber bullets, for sure( Lyman Cast Bullet book shows older molds for as light as 90 grain bullets; I have shot 130 grain bullets in that caliber), but how good they will be for shooting a deer sized animal is another issue. :thumbsup:

Thank you Gentlemen, (I'm using that term loosely :grin: ) I have already slugged the bore and it reads .358 +/- .001 at the lands. She reads .375 +/- .002 at the grooves, and yes I have checked this twice with my calipers.

I understand this may seem odd to most of you, but this would be a great way for the lad and his dad to get out and do something together. According to BPI, whom I've already contacted, that little rifle can handle a 60 grn charge.

The TC Maxi Balls for a .36 rifle are now discontinued, as best as I can gather, but they were .375 diameter and made for a rifle. My Uncle had an older KY Long Rifle that he shot several deer with while I was younger. The closest thing I can now find is the Lee Mold for a 130 grn Round Nose. At 1500-1600 FPS that would do the trick on a south Mississippi white tail for sure.

Again thankyou for your advice, and keep those cards and letters coming.
Mike

Groove diameter is NOT normally the way we measure rifle bores. You measure the BORE DIAMETER TO determine caliber. If your gun is .375 GROOVE diameter, then it might take a .375 bullet. However, I think getting even a soft lead bullet down that barrel with anything short of a steel rod, and a mallet will be difficult. I would reduce the diameter and paper patch the bullet to give me an easier time loading the barrel.

Let us know how it works out. I am interested.

To be honest :redface: , I've already fired half a dozen 1/4 ounce egg sinkers over a patch and 40 grns of 777 through it. At 30 yards the little devil shoots 3/4 of an inch groups. I've weighed and measured the sinkers and they range from .366 to .380 in diameter, but none of them are hard to drive to the powder once they are loaded. Their weights are 110 grns,+/- 10 grns. I've not chronied them yet, didn't trust what would happen :shake: , but they will shoot through a 1 1/2 inch Oak Plank at 30 yards every time. Also without much experimentation the Little Rifle is shooting darned well IMO.

Please keep those cards and letters coming, I am open minded to all good advice.
Mike

I have to ask, shooting those egg sinkers with that hole down the center, do they whistle Dixie on the way down range? :rotf:

cowpoke1955 said:
I have to ask, shooting those egg sinkers with that hole down the center, do they whistle Dixie on the way down range? :rotf:
:rotf: Now that's funny right there.

Last edited by a moderator:
check e-bay and the gun auction sites for a 36 Minnie or maxi mold. They do come up, even if only once or twice a month. And it may be salty as folks try to buy them due to the discontinuance of manufacture.

In addition, there are a few relatively inexpensive mold makers who can make a custom lathe bored mold on a cnc machine. Heck they may already have the program saved from a prior customer. Another way to get a mold is to take a mold for a slightly smaller cartridge bullet and cut the bearing bands wide for the 36 bore. A machine shop can make a simple cherry just to cut the bands, I am not a fan of Lee's REAL bullets, but bearing bands along those lines would work. Get the boy a 36 cal wad punch so he can punch out his own overpowder wads. I saw som last night at a flea market for $1.50 each. Harbor Freight sells a whole set for around $5. Kids love the do it yerself part of muzzleloading. Next a bag and horn, even molding his own bullets.

I'd shoot the TC 128 gr. Maxi balls in my CVA 36 Squirrel (or my TC Hawken 36), but not the Lee.

The TC maxi molds can be found, but at least back when I bought my sets they were not cheap, especially in 32 or 36 since they are much more scarce than the 45's and up.

cva36.jpg

:thumbsup: I finally got around to calling TOTW and they indeed have the .36 Maxi-balls, and boy are they proud of them! $8 for 20 :shocked2: . I beleive I'll give the Lee 130 grns a try :stir:, it will be fun making them to. BTW they aren't the R.E.A.L. style of projectile. There for a revolver and are round nosed. I've got about 30lbs of old saltwater fishing weights I don't use anymore. I'm not positive they are pure lead, or the BH but I'll give them a shot. If nothing else I'll know what not to do next time.
This little rifle is starting to take shape. I've got 10 coats of blueing on it so far and the barrel looks pretty nice. It's not a factory blueing but I'm taking my time and polishing it with a felt bob and a Dremel tool after each dousing. So far so good, and to be honest I'm really enjoying this. I haven't pieced together a kit in years, I'd forgot how much fun this can be! :grin:

Buffalo Ball-ets may have conicals in .36 cal. I was considering getting some in .32 cal. Thought they would be good for groundhogs. WheI ordered some at Dixie they were back ordered so I canceled. watch yer top knot

Silver Surfer said:
:thumbsup: I finally got around to calling TOTW and they indeed have the .36 Maxi-balls, and boy are they proud of them! $8 for 20 :shocked2: .

I'd say, damn proud of them. :surrender:

I have 700+ 32 cal maxi balls cast with a TC mold, and I sold both of my 32's recently. Maybe I should run an ad if folks are willing to pay those kind of prices. :rotf:

Well Today is the day! I got her brass shined up, barrel greased down, and she's standing tall waiting for her owner to take her home :thumbsup: .

I took her out Sunday evening and let half a dozen fly. This little devil can shoot :hmm: , I'm thinking with a little spurmintin something pretty good can come out of this. The proud father is bringing over a collection of balls and bullets to pick and choose from this evening, I'll let yall know how it went.

BTW is there a tutorial on "Picture Posting" on the sight?

:haha: OBTW to CowPoke & Spot,
No they don't whistle "Dixie" :shake: , but they will flat out SCREAM! :shocked2: :rotf: ! I shot a 1 gallon pale at twenty yards, I was impressed :shocked2: the bullet split the pale and impacted at around .50 cal dia.. I have been able to dig it out of the log for a forensic yet, but I'm going to guess it'll look like a donut.

Something else that has come to mind... :hmm: since these "bullets" are hollow there should be no "Drag/Back Pressure" on the projectile as it flies. In Hypothesis, these little boogers should fly flatter longer, yes?

I look forward to your opinions.

Latest posts

Back