• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pure linen thread

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ringel05

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Was wondering if anyone knows where the best place to get pure linen sewing thread (for making clothing).
Found this place but the shipping is pretty high.

Remenant Remedy

Wpns Man said:
I buy all my linen and wool yardage from Wm. Booth, Draper.

He is also my only "Go To" for thread.
Wm. Booth, Draper

I also very much appreciate that he advises on colours and sizes of linen thread that are appropriate to the material one is using. If one is not sure, then just ask.

LOVE the Diced Wool he has for making hand sewn Scottish Bag Hose.

Gus

I have some linen thread from Wm Booth, but have yet to use any of it. It certainly looks nice, much nicer and smoother than flax thread I have gotten anywhere else.

I bought a spool of linen thread at wally-world in the craft section. pretty tough stuff but might be a touch big for sewin' with.

Glad you asked this question, actually. Was linen thread a common commodity in the 18th and 19th centuries? What would have been the most commonly used type of thread for general sewing and patching, cotton?

Smollett

Flax linen or silk. Those would pretty much be THE threads used in the 18th century. At some point in the 19th century, I'm sure cotton thread would be made available, but generally cotton sucks as thread. Long grain Egyptian cotton makes good thread (and fabric).

I ordered some linen thread from Draper. The linen fabric I ordered from the Fabric Store.com seems to be a pretty loose weave, I ordered the medium weight. when held up to the light I can see through it (solid shapes like my hand). Is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep.

It will close up some when washing.

Most modern linen fabric is not all that tight or densely woven, unfortunately. And, from what I have been able to see, neither was much 18th century linen, but it sometimes seems better than some of the super loose fabric around today. The really loose stuff is actually hard to sew.

I just got some linen from the fabrics-store myself, recently. Got a nice dark natural color, which I have not seen in a long time. What I got is of normal consistency. Common modern linen is the equivalent of 18th century "Osnaburg" linen. Used for working shirts, hunting shirts, etc. It was relatively inexpensive fabric.

Now, they DID have some better stuff 200+ years ago. Plain weave linen could sometimes be very tightly woven... but finding it today is difficult. Best chance is with some of the woven check patterns (but no guarantees... get a sample swatch). Sometimes one can find linen canvas. I got a small amount a couple of years ago from Burnley and Trowbridge (which they don't show in stock now), which is probably 8oz or so and nice stuff. Good for breeches or jackets. They also had twills/drills in the 18th century. Common then, but hard to come by now. I have some "Russia drill" from Wm. Booth, Draper that I got some time ago. I wanted the 18th century equivalent of modern denim for making a pair of breeches (which I still haven't gotten around to). This is hemp, about 12 oz, and pretty good stuff, though still not quite as dense as denim. So many original garments are linen twill/drill. I have longed for linen twill for many years now, and had never seen ANY available until recently. Wm. Booth has some, and I would love to see it and try it, but I can't afford to keep buying expensive fabric for experimenting! :grin: And that's the problem. It is NOT cheap. One should never expect to buy 18th century type fabric "cheap" (and just wait 'till you try to buy wool...) I also have some "Russia sheet" from the same source. This is a nice tight canvas. Now, when I first got it, I thought "manure, I can read a newspaper through it", but I washed it and dried it and it drew up tighter than Dick's hatband. This, I really like, but again, it definitely isn't cheap.

Compared to some of the wool prices I've seen online Drapers is positively affordable!!! Once I decide what colors I want I'll pick up what I need from them. I was thinking about lining the breeches in a thin matching color jute cotton fabric which I have, takes care of the see through problem but I don't know how mixing the two will hold up over time, with washings and general usage.

I made some trousers years ago from the standard Osnaburg linen. It just isn't a great choice for outerwear. Hard to sew (especially in the heavier weights. the thinner stuff is actually nicer to work with), and just doesn't hold its shape well. Fine for a hunting shirt, but just not so great for breeches. At the time, though, it was ALL that was available. Reenactors are a very small market group, so nobody makes stuff for just "us". I have even considered in the past getting a natural colored or tan/beige cotton denim fabric and using it. I would not fault anyone for doing so.

If it can be afforded, I would really recommend a linen or hemp canvas or twill... something with some "body". It will be SO much easier and more pleasant to sew, and make a better garment in the end. :wink:

Heck, I need to get my own breeches made! I have not been in the best of health for a LONG time, and everything has been put back. So many projects on hold. :(

Stophel said:
I made some trousers years ago from the standard Osnaburg linen. It just isn't a great choice for outerwear. Hard to sew (especially in the heavier weights. the thinner stuff is actually nicer to work with), and just doesn't hold its shape well. Fine for a hunting shirt, but just not so great for breeches. At the time, though, it was ALL that was available. Reenactors are a very small market group, so nobody makes stuff for just "us". I have even considered in the past getting a natural colored or tan/beige cotton denim fabric and using it. I would not fault anyone for doing so.

If it can be afforded, I would really recommend a linen or hemp canvas or twill... something with some "body". It will be SO much easier and more pleasant to sew, and make a better garment in the end. :wink:

Heck, I need to get my own breeches made! I have not been in the best of health for a LONG time, and everything has been put back. So many projects on hold. :(
I know what you mean about the health issues. Supposedly Turkey Foot Traders has 100% 17oz hemp fabric for $24 a yard, breeches require around 2 yards according to my pattern as for finding heavy linen, 8oz in solids and 10oz in a jacquard.

Turkey foot's hemp canvas is HEAVY, but it is also very loosely woven. It's kinda springy and behaves strangely, I have no way to describe it. I recently made my snapsack out of it, and it's fine for that, but its characteristics would lead me to say it is not good for apparel.

Wm. Booth currently has a very nice 12 oz brown linen drill for $22 a yard that would be ideal for trousers/breeches. Item WLN 587 on the solid colors page.

Back