• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Powderhorn help..please

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cratwelder

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Purchased a large finished powder horn....flat base plug, not round, but countoured to the horn. There is a 2 inch area around the edge of the plug that is not air/watertight. Any sealing ideas????

Thanks

Melt some beeswax (via double boiler) and put some in the crack. I would imagine the old timers would have done the same. When the wax hardens you should have a leak proof base plug again. And easy to keep up and smells good.
Gary

thanks...I like the horn....and want to salvage it..I will post some pics this weekend.

I use silicone, available at any home repair place, and color it after it hardens. Not PC, but it works and it won't melt in hot weather (like the inside of a car on a hot Texas day).

craftwelder, I would use beeswax as Gary suggested. I use beeswax to seal the gap between the body of the horn and the butt plug. It is cheap, easy, blends in with the horn color and is traditional. Love to see some pictures when you post.

Scott

I use beeswax to seal my horns. If you put the beeswax in a pan and heat it slowly it will melt and then as the temperature rises it will start to darken. When you get the shade you want pour it over the part you want filled. After the wax starts to cool you can rub off any excess or spilled wax.

I just ordered some beeswax and I thank everyone for their help...
here is a picture of the horn in question, I feel it has great potential. The scissors are full size Genger sewing shears for size comparison.
003.jpg

nice looking horn!

if you want to go PC/HC, i'd stick with the beeswax. if not, i've used two part epoxy with good result in the past... admittedly not PC, but it really will stay exactly where you put it. (you will, of course, have to figure out a way to contain the epoxy until it sets up).

good luck with your horn!

you can bypass the double broiler and just steal your ol' lady's hair dryer! Turn it on high, hold the beeswax over the heat till it starts to melt, then rub onto the horn around the plug.Then play the heat on the horn and as the wax melts again, wipe the excess off with a paper towel.After it cools, blow into the spout end and if air escapes, repeat the process.

I've used pine pitch (older, somewhat drier is better) mixed with either wood ashes or horn dust. Apply, let dry (usually do this in the winter. A few feet from the wood stove dries it overnight.) Then buff off any excess & pitch fingerprints with turpentine or mineral spirits and a soft lint-free rag.

Back