• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

powder horn - a little different

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikemeteor

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Makin a 16 bore Pennsylvania fowler for a buddy, and he wanted a horn to go with it.

Had some extra veg tanned leather scraps, so thought I try somethin' a little different.

Can't remember if I saw this somewhere else or not.

I realize this probably isn't everybody's cup a tea.

sorry... struggling with the text editor here....

anyway...

Wanted to fashion a strap anchor on the horn, out of the veg tanned leather.
As I said, I can't remember if I saw this somewhere else or not... must have... I never have original ideas...

The upper,larger loop was cut to slip over the horn ring initially, but after the hot water treatment, the veg tanned leather shrinks and the upper loop is secured behind the ring.

My buddy's last name starts with "L", so I also took one of the veggie leather cut-outs, burned a L in it, and trapped it on the staple I put in the walnut headplug.
Inlayed a star for the heck of it.
Now to find a nice strap.
Might need to put a brass D-ring between leather loop and strap......
/mike millard

I like it. Sure SEEMS like something that would have been done in the 1700's. Let's hear what some of the experts say.

That's certainly a novel idea and rates high on the cool factor scale! :thumbsup:

wow-

that's really a clever bit of work ... why didn't I think of that?

ignore the naysayers - I think it's really cool!

:thumbsup:

Very nice! :thumbsup: Now I know I have seen that type of Fastener before but it escapes me.
Wait! I think it was on a swiveless gun sling?
Oh great now it's going to drive me nuts trying to remember :idunno:

I like it! Pretty cool. The only thing I think would be nice is a little engraving on the star , say a name or initials . But very nice!

beavertrapper

Latest posts

Back