• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Poor man's bore scope

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
It's been my experience that it's hard to align my eye when I shine a flashlight down the barrel to check it's cleanliness, and when I slide a bobber light all the way down, it is just too bright to be useful as well. I took an unmentionable cartridge case (.38 spl) and on the case head, stuck and then trimmed, a highly reflective silver piece of mylar from a AAA bumper sticker. Just slide the case down the barrel, hold the flashlight a few inches back from the muzzle, and you can easily view the condition of the rifling w/o having to keep adjusting your eyes. Like the three bears and their porridge - not too bright, not too dim, juuuust right.

Bore lights have gotten so cheap, you can pick your price point. Then you can really post about all the awfulness you see. :p

https://www.amazon.com/Endoscope-Industrial-Borescope-Waterproof-Inspection/dp/B0BVZQY64R/ref=sr_1_37?crid=BE5459K5KWI6&keywords=bore+light+for+firearms&qid=1697240442&sprefix=bore+light,aps,99&sr=8-37

A quick Amazon search shows ranges from low 20s to 1500.
Thanks for the info, but I'm pretty sure you can't beat the price of a used cartridge case and a pea sized piece of a bumper sticker that came in my junk mail. 😏 The homemade reflector gives me the view that works sufficiently detailed for me.

I've found several mini lights that will slide down the bore. If buying on line check the specs for OA diameter. Bore light and general mini light in one.

You can get a cheap borescope for around $10 off eBay that will work just fine. I have a Teslong now but have had two of the el-cheapos in the past, both worked well, one was clearer than the other.

El-cheapo #1, Bill Large barrel

large barrel.JPG

El Cheapo #2, TC breech

TC breech 2.jpg

El-cheapo bore scope link;

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2041676898...2qwUINRF9cDTGvYP8%3D|ampid:PL_CLK|clp:4429486

It's been my experience that it's hard to align my eye when I shine a flashlight down the barrel to check it's cleanliness, and when I slide a bobber light all the way down, it is just too bright to be useful as well. I took an unmentionable cartridge case (.38 spl) and on the case head, stuck and then trimmed, a highly reflective silver piece of mylar from a AAA bumper sticker. Just slide the case down the barrel, hold the flashlight a few inches back from the muzzle, and you can easily view the condition of the rifling w/o having to keep adjusting your eyes. Like the three bears and their porridge - not too bright, not too dim, juuuust right.

A friend showed me that trick several years ago, works like a charm, makes all of the rifling and bore really stand out. Only difference was didn't stick any reflective tab onto of the case head. Just used a well polished brass/nickel hull, worked very well. Only drawback is you can't see the very bottom of the barrel.

Thanks for the info, but I'm pretty sure you can't beat the price of a used cartridge case and a pea sized piece of a bumper sticker that came in my junk mail. 😏 The homemade reflector gives me the view that works sufficiently detailed for me.
But how do you focus it? :) I tried twisting my right ear, but it didn't seem to help...

I have a Teslong now
I have a Teslong too, but honestly, your El Cheapo breech pics look clearer than those my Teslong gives.

The Teslong is great for close-up viewing of the sides of the bore, but mine has an uselessly small field (cone) of view when looking straight ahead.

I bought one of the cheap bore scopes with a hand-held screen off eBay, the picture quality is good but the probe is too large to go down a small barrel, the focal length is about 2 1/2", it can't look to the side.

I have a teslong it sucks. capture software is corrupted and can't take pictures. focal length is ok but side view is wonky. That is a technical term don't you know.
now you guy's have messed up my plans for the day. i was going to work on my languishing build, now i will drag out my battery and scope all the bores to make sure i haven't missed cleaning one. senior moments getting the upper hand ya know.
now what were we talking about?

Screwing the side view piece on your Teslong in or out will change the focal length, if properly adjusted they do scary well when looking to the side. Cleaning the mirror with a lens cleaning solution is a plus as well.

haines after scrub.jpg

They do show you stuff you don't want to see, like my nephew's GPR that he cleaned improperly.

wes hawken 2.jpg

Back