• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pocket flask

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkthrower

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Been planning on doing a banjo style pocket flask for quite awhile and finally got around to it
Tried to do something a little different by not using any pins. The front and back were captured in a groove sort of like a chimed bottom for a cup after they were heated and shaped.
had to grind a lathe tool to do this and get the right size and depth I needed. It is air tight and I added a little beeswax just for luck around the horn caps. Here is the result.
It has a threaded spout for filling and is 2 5/8" across, about 1 1/8" thick with a elm body and horn end caps. It is transparent enough to see the powder.
As always comment and critque is welcome.

Ron

Very nice work! May I ask how you got the horn sides to have the curve that they do?

I started out by flattening a horn and cutting out my circles. I then made a form out of two blocks, in the shape I wanted and then heated the horn in hot oil and pressed them between the forms.
I then turned the ring for the body and ground a lathe tool for the channel. Getting the channel right involved some hit and miss fitting and I broke a couple of rings and got one to big in the missing :doh: :doh:

I admire your skill and creativity! Even more after you explained how you went about in making this little piece of art... If I would have made it, I wouldn't be able to part from it... :hatsoff:

Thanks guys.
Mike, I hope everything is well with you. I have not forgotten what you did for me.

Ron

Thanks for sharing the "how to" . I am sure there will be some people attempting to make one of these.

Back