• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pistol ownership in Colonial America

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am ignorant and have been curious about this for awhile.
Who owned pistols in pre-Revolution colonial America?
If anyone here has read about, or has studied this topic, I would be interested to know.

I would venture to say that every segment of the colonial population had pistols.

Just like in modern America, there were dirty rotten crooks in colonial America.

Poverty may have kept some from acquiring pistols.

Religious beliefs may have kept some from acquiring pistols.

My understanding is that pistols were not that common, and used primarily by officers (who often procured their own personal weapons) , cavalry and naval troops. Pistol making got a boost during the war of 1812 in this country.

I would dare to say that as good of rifle as a man could afford, a tomahawk and a sharp knife were more the mainstay of the day of the greater population.

I'm sure there are historians here who know vastly more than I do on the subject but I would venture a guess that today's mass produced handguns are more affordable to the common joe than pistols of the colonial days were.

Since a pistol takes almost the same labor as a rifle to make and the cost of parts with a slight reduction in the cost of a barrel; pistols would be rare on the Frontier. Inventories of store goods have far more fowling guns and rifled guns than pistols.

Latest posts

Back