• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pics of a post Rev. War Lancaster rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tallbear

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I've watched with facination the ongoing threads in reguards to Late/Early Lancaster/Virginia rifles.Thought I would join the fun :confused: This is my interpertation of a post Rev. War Lancaster Rifle that I just finished.I built it to be auctioned of to benifit the CLA in August.Please ignore the cheekpiece inlay as it's a bit of fantacy.The engraving was done by Tom Curran,photos by Jim Filipsky.Please feel free to critique or state why you do or don't think it's a representation of a post Rev War Lancaster.I belive an honest disscusion would benifit both sides of what seems like an ongoing tug or war between members here.Since this rifle currently has no owner it can be disscussed without the owners egos getting involved.

Mitch Yates
1800px-YatesM-rifle-FL-1.jpg

YatesM-rifle-45449-1800.jpg

YatesM-rifle-45428-1800.jpg

YatesM-rifle-Cheekpiece-Detail1800.jpg

YatesM-rifle-top1800.jpg

I've watched with facination the ongoing threads in reguards to Late/Early Lancaster/Virginia rifles.Thought I would join the fun :confused: This is my interpertation of a post Rev. War Lancaster Rifle that I just finished.I built it to be auctioned of to benifit the CLA in August.Please ignore the cheekpiece inlay as it's a bit of fantacy.The engraving was done by Tom Curran,photos by Jim Filipsky.Please feel free to critique or state why you do or don't think it's a representation of a post Rev War Lancaster.I belive an honest disscusion would benifit both sides of what seems like an ongoing tug or war between members here.Since this rifle currently has no owner it can be disscussed without the owners egos getting involved.

Mitch Yates
1800px-YatesM-rifle-FL-1.jpg

YatesM-rifle-45449-1800.jpg

YatesM-rifle-45428-1800.jpg

YatesM-rifle-Cheekpiece-Detail1800.jpg

YatesM-rifle-top1800.jpg

Well Mitch since it's an orphan send it to me, I've been known to shelter strays. Just offering a public service :grin:

Seriously tho I'm not qualified to comment on the correctness, but it is a wonderful piece!

Well Mitch since it's an orphan send it to me, I've been known to shelter strays. Just offering a public service :grin:

Seriously tho I'm not qualified to comment on the correctness, but it is a wonderful piece!

Some random info to add to the disscussion.

Barrel 45 1/2 " 1 1 1/16 breach. taper and flair matching a signed Jacob Dickert rifle

Buttplate copied from signed Lancaster gun width 1 1/2" to 1 5/8"
Trigger guard copied from signed lancaster rifle

Stock architecture copied from a signed Jacob Dickert a know Lancaster Gunsmith

Patch box with side plates but only one piercing shows the transitioning from the simple brass box of Rev War guns to the full blown Federal boxes of the post 1800 Golden Era

Carving related to Jacob Dickert but appearing to be later than Jacobs early work.See RCA # 48 and 49

Very little engraving as would be commen on post 1800 guns.

Again ignore the cheekpiece inlay which is obviously inspried by 19th century art.

Mitch

Some random info to add to the disscussion.

Barrel 45 1/2 " 1 1 1/16 breach. taper and flair matching a signed Jacob Dickert rifle

Buttplate copied from signed Lancaster gun width 1 1/2" to 1 5/8"
Trigger guard copied from signed lancaster rifle

Stock architecture copied from a signed Jacob Dickert a know Lancaster Gunsmith

Patch box with side plates but only one piercing shows the transitioning from the simple brass box of Rev War guns to the full blown Federal boxes of the post 1800 Golden Era

Carving related to Jacob Dickert but appearing to be later than Jacobs early work.See RCA # 48 and 49

Very little engraving as would be commen on post 1800 guns.

Again ignore the cheekpiece inlay which is obviously inspried by 19th century art.

Mitch

The buttplate was the first thing I saw. :thumbsup: I can't stand those thin Bivens plates that's on so many rifles. GW

The buttplate was the first thing I saw. :thumbsup: I can't stand those thin Bivens plates that's on so many rifles. GW

it looks very nice to me, from what I have seen studying RCA and Kindig and others and the excellant steail source reference you gave I would think this gun would fit in the 1780-90 period maybe later but it does not strike me as much later. I am a novice gun student but even at that some things will reach out and grab you by appearance or in abscence, just a bit of carving and moulding can make a world of difference in a longrifle as to its "believeability factor" and well worth the trade off in fancy wood, no grade of wood can make something into that which it is not IMHO. nice work.

it looks very nice to me, from what I have seen studying RCA and Kindig and others and the excellant steail source reference you gave I would think this gun would fit in the 1780-90 period maybe later but it does not strike me as much later. I am a novice gun student but even at that some things will reach out and grab you by appearance or in abscence, just a bit of carving and moulding can make a world of difference in a longrifle as to its "believeability factor" and well worth the trade off in fancy wood, no grade of wood can make something into that which it is not IMHO. nice work.

Im just a redneck so I cant comment on HC/PC part but I can tell you that you do some very good work an whomever gets this rifle will be a lucky dog in my opinion :hatsoff:

Im just a redneck so I cant comment on HC/PC part but I can tell you that you do some very good work an whomever gets this rifle will be a lucky dog in my opinion :hatsoff:

tallbear said:
Please feel free to critique or state why you do or don't think it's a representation of a post Rev War Lancaster.

Won't do that but will definitely say it's a great looking rifle...
:thumbsup:

Grey Whiskers said:

I am not really studied on PA guns so I ask this for further discussion. The OP stated "Buttplate copied from signed Lancaster". So which is it.. a historically inspired BP by Bivins or an original copy? By "thin" do you mean thickness of metal or width on the gun?

thanks

Cap'n, this rifle does not have a Bivins buttplate. This is one of Reeves Goehring's castings. I know because I did the prep and polishing of the lock, guard and buttplate on this project rifle. The poster was saying he prefers a real Lancaster buttplate to the Bivins-designed one which had little doming and a sharp corner. The Bivins-designed "Lancaster" buttplate is easy to inlet, but is not closely based on originals. John Bivins designed some parts to be wax cast for his Bicentennial rifle series and in some ways they were designed more for ease of rifle assembly than historical accuracy.

"Thin" in this case means apparent thickness of the brass at the visible edge. Many times builders leave castings thick, which was common on later, percussion guns, but not the case on early rifles. This buttplate is about 1 and 3/4" wide, maybe a touch more.

Thanks Rich for setting me straight.
The Bivins information was as I had thought.

I dont know how I misunderstood Grey Whisker's comment as it is plain as day now..even had the little thumbs up icon and everything. Too much multi-tasking at the time for a simple mind as mine.

For some reason I thought he was calling it the Bivins which I thought was not the case and that he preferred thick old plate sides.
Many apologies Grey Whiskers!!!!

I will post the appropriate icon for myself... :youcrazy:

Mike Brooks said:
Nice, your work reminds me of the late Dave Dodds work, very crisp and acurrate. :thumbsup:
Now that's high praise!

Mitch, you know I'm a fan and this gun reinforces it. Nice work.

Enjoy, J.D.

I like the continuation of the moulding on the buttsock thru the buttplate I do not know if this is common but I like the effect, it seems to be a more "completed" method to me. The more I look the more I think it is 1785-90 or a bit later and not post 1800, I am going from memry from Kindigs mostly and schumways though his were mostly earlier I no longer have a library but it just seems pre 1800 to me from things stuck in my mind, but then some builders did not always follow the latest fashions and carried earlier work quite a bit past its most predominately used time period, seems Beck did this sometimes.

Back