• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pewter nose cap or knife guard???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Poss

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I know pewter has a low melting point and is used to make nose caps and decorations on knife handles....how is this done? I was told that cardboard could be taped on and the melted pewter poured in the cavity then file down what isn't wanted. Correct??? How do you keep the pewter from sticking to knife blades and having to be removed with a file? Will this also work on putting decoration on horns without burning it? thanks for your help

Some of the muzzleloading catalogs have instructions on pouring a pewter nose cap. I have never done it but most who have don't like the results. "Pewter" is generally silver/tin solder sold in bars. On a knife you can apply various covers, like pencil graphite,etc that pewter or solder won't stick to.
A lot of community colleges, etc have art classes where the students learn how to do sand casting. I believe they use the lost wax method. Here you end up with a tougher metal than pewter. You might want to look into that. There are custom knife supply houses. Texas Knife Makers supply sells a lot and they will temper AIR QUENCHABLE steels for a few dollars. They may offer you some help and advise. Good luck. :winking:

I did it once on a half stock and it turned out ok. If you look up the content of pewter it is 95% tin and 5% antimony. This is exactly the same as 95/5 solder so that is what I used. Just cut some pieces and melt them on the kitchen stove. Only trouble was I didn't know to pre heat the barrel and it splattered leaving some air holes after the paper mold was removed. This was easy to fix by adding solder just like filling a joint. :D I think I would have been in trouble if those bubbles had come up in the groove portion. :curse:

Bill Curtis

longknife: I know using links isn't the same as a first hand explanation but here is one to a post about casting nose caps.
Cast Nosecaps

Give it a look. If you have questions, either post them in that post, or here. :)

Thanks Zonie...thats what I needed to know. I checked the archives search but only entered "PEWTER"...I also searched back but didn't go back far enough. I wasn't thinking that much about nosecaps as much as pouring a pewter guard or hilt on an antler handled knife. It lookes like the principal would be the same though..if it won't burn wood ;antler should be fine! thanks again and I'll eventually learn how to use all the information here without asking it to be explained again. :sorry:

Back