• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion to Flinter

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

utahhntnful

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Newbie here! Is it possible to change a percussion to a Flinter.
I know the locks are different !
What else would have to be done ?
Rare Hare Brown

utahhntnful said:
Newbie here! Is it possible to change a percussion to a Flinter.
I know the locks are different !
What else would have to be done ?
Rare Hare Brown
You might want to take a look at my recent post - "child's Flinter" in this section. I posed the same question and got lots of good answers. Welcome to the site, I'm new as well.

If you have a rifle with drum and nipple system it is a simple task if you can find a flintlock to fit the lock mortise.

If it isn't a drum type, you will need the service of a muzzle loader gunsmith. Depending on the gun you are wanting to convert, it may not be practical money wise. Or you will need another barrel besides the need for a lock that fits the mortise.
What gun are you contemplating converting?

Yes, it is possible and can be rather simple. Do you have a specific rifle in mind?

If it is a T.C. you can change out the breach plug and lock but on the other hand it may not index properly when tightened down. I don't know if TC offers this service or not.

What type of gun are you thinking of converting ?

Last year I bought a cheap CVA percussion 50 cal with a drum and nipple on the side of the barrel. I bought a flintlock mechanism off eBay for 70 bucks and paid my gunsmith an additional $30 to pull the drum out and put a touch hole liner in place. The gun is still just a cheap CVA but it's soo much more fun to play with now that I'm bangin rocks.

I don't think TC does, and I don't think GM does either, and I highly discourage armatures from removing a TC breech plug. :nono:

It is a Doug Anderson .58 caliber. with a 1984 Cochrane lock
I needed a new main spring and Gray Beard just happen to have a flinter lock plate that will fit my mortise,I was just going to part it out,for my Cochrane perc. and had the idea that if it was'nt to much to do I could repair it,(it has one of the screw hole that I guess is off by 1/32").
Just an idea I was tossin around in my noggin.

Thanks for you reply.
Jim (Rare Hare Brown)

Rare hare brown, Like they say if your gun has a drum and nipple it can be easy. I am not real familar with the brand of gun you have. Sounds as if it is american made. touchole liner come in 1/4x28, 5/16x24, and I think white lightning make a 3/8 liner. It may be as simple as pulling your drum and screwing in a liner. am also not familar with your lock, It seems you have 2 options, rebuilding that flinter lockplate. option get a Siler gunsmithes lock completley assembled internals but lock plate is rectangular, you just file and fit to your mortise. you need to send more specific info, we must know whether gun is a drum and nipple system, or a bolster system in order to precede. I have 8 rifles and pistols I have converted for my personal use, and over 40 years experience as a gunsmith. And if that aint enough my last name is Brown also (arkansas). shucks we may even be kin! let us know your thoughts with specific info before we procede. Yes it can be done yours hounddog

Converting a percussion (with said drum) to flint is relatively easy; doing the opposite can be a pain. This depends also on what's available in the way of locks.

I converted a Pedersoli from flint to percussion once and getting the drum fitted just right can make a preacher cuss. And in my case it was basically a drop-in lock. If you remove the drum and install a vent liner you're half way there. Admittedly, this from a tyro.

Dixie Gun Works use to offer a .45 caliber Pedersoli Pennsylvania convertable. It came with a stock, barrel, a vent liner, a drum with nipple and two locks (one flint and one percussion). For flint, just screw in the vent liner and instaall the flint lock. To convert to percussion, replace the vent liner with the drum and nipple and exchange the lock. Dixie no longer offers this. I saw one on an auction site about a month ago.

I can't believe I found the answer to my question so quick. I too have an old CVA 45 cal. Cap lock that I built. It took my first deer in 1978 when my family needed food. I now want to convert to Flint since I am loving shooting my Trade Pistol given to me when I retired from directing the third oldest outdoor drama, Horn In The West. What kind of lock did you buy and does it spark good? Did you have to do much woodwork? Etc! Thanks for any help you can give. Esperance!

You can replace a percussion drum with a flash hole liner and exchange locks. You'll have to shop around to find a lock that might fit your gun or you can just fit a new one to the gun. What is all important is being sure the pan correctly lines up with the touch hole. I'm partial to Siler locks. I've been shooting one for 30 years.

Somewhere I have an old article from Muzzleblasts or Muzzleloader magazine where someone made a convertable lock. They cut the flint pan so that a bolt could be put in that was made up in a drum and nipple configuration after the liner was removed. A percussion hammer was swapped out to finish the conversion. Inplace of a standard vent liner, another bolt was fitted but instead of being hollow for a drum and nipple setup, it was cut down to form the bottom of the pan. Once the conversion is done it was onle a matter of replacing the bolts and hammers.
john

Back