• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion revolver rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trond

32 Cal.
Reaction score
One of my all time favourite rifles is the extremely complicated revolver rifle made by Mr. Hans Larsen, Drammen 1858-1861:

4revolverwy7.jpg

There were probably made a total of 14 of these rifles, all just a little different. The one on the picture is probably the last one made - in 1861.

The Larsen percussion revolver rifle is so complex in design and mechanics that one really would believe it to be German! By pulling the lever upwards, the hammer is cocked, the cylindre retracks some 3-4 mm away from the barrel and is turned 72 degrees. When turning the lever futher - a full 360 degrees, the cylindre is moved forwards again and the chamber to be fired is "sealed" against the barrel.

larsrevdetalj.JPG

How to load the rifle? No problem, you don't even need a screwdriver. The plate in front of the cylindre is hinged and can be pulled forwards. You muzzle load one and one chamber. It's just as the Henry from the periode: You load it on Sundays and shoot all week - ok, here you only shoot on Mondays and Tuedays.

If you look carefully at the top picture, you'll see that the rifle is fitted with a bayonet lug. Well, I don't think you could fit a bayonet on it - half the lug is covered by wood.... The idea was to receive a refund from the state as it then "could be used against the Swedes". If it had been, I'm afraid Norway might still have been in a union with Sweden....

If you are interested in seeing more of Mr. Larsen's very different designs, you can take a look at some of my Larsen guns.

Trond

What a fascinating piece of engineering for the era. I would imagine that fouling would cause all sorts of havoc if fired many times. That's an amazing piece. Thanks for sharing it.

Latest posts

Back