• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patching?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleburne

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I've never heard of anyone patching balls for smallbore cannons, but a couple friends have mentioned they're planning to use undersized balls and patch them for a snug fit in their newly made cannons' bore (1"). We're all new to cannon use, but do shoot traditional muzzleloading rifles where patched roundballs are the norm. Is this practice considered unsafe in cannons? :idunno:

Cleburne

i never put a ball parch in a canon like a rifle
but my 1" bore cannon is very accurate with a lead ball .96 and a white cotton cleaning patch that has little crisco on it and 110 grains 1f
goex
now this combo is not a tight fit and i can press it down with one fingure but those then over the end of the range
right or wrong this works great but i never patch over a 1" bore as you need windage around the projectile

Is this practice considered unsafe in cannons?
As I understand it....Yes.
If not unsafe, unnecessary.
A properly made cannon/mortar has a bore that is slightly larger than the projectile. This extra bit of diameter is called "windage" and is supposed to be there, not patched away.
Get a copy of M.C. Switlick's "The Complete Cannoneer" for lots of good, safe, info.
Pete

You want to be darn sure you barrel is swabbed and clean before trying to seat a patched ball of this size. I would avoid it. I have never really felt the need for it in my 1 inch gun.

Back