• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parts for old hand planes

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GunnyGene

75 Cal.
Reaction score
Looking for some help finding parts.

Stopped by my favorite Antique, Mostly Antique, and Junk shop today (that's actually the name of the place). He'd just picked up a load of stuff and was still diggin thru it. Picked up this Stanley 71 1/2 router plane and a Union #43 Rabbet plane w/Stanley Sweetheart blade in it.

The Stanley is a Type 3, mfg. from 1906-1910. The Union 43 was made prior to 1919 when the company folded.

If anyone has parts for either of these, please PM me. I need a knob screw for the Stanley 71 1/2 router plane, and the fence and scoring blade for the Union #43.

Pics:

planes.jpg

contact Tony Seo in ne Pa. , he deals in old tools, tell him Birdman sent ya, he'll know who your talking about. I think his stores name is Olde River Hard Goods, google up his name if nothing else, he also dabbles in music n is an excelent gitar player, hope this helps some YMHS Birdman

wow, Gunny, you find cool stuff... you might want to give the folks at Highland Woodworking in Atlanta a call ... if they can't help you, it's a fair bet they know where to look.

I've got feelers out all over, including Highland.

The old fella that runs that shop I mentioned has more old tools of all descriptions than I could possibly list. He's been collecting stuff for at least 50 years. His shop is only open on Saturday's. I've bought several things from him, but only buy "workers". Been looking for both of these for several years.

Btw, these were $10 each :grin:. I've seen these on ebay and so on that are up to $125, depending on condition.

Tony got back to me this morning. Doesn't have any of the parts I need, but did tell me that parts from a Stanley #78 would work on the Union #43 plane, so that helps. Usually easier to find Stanley parts than for other brands that old.

Thanks for helping out :hatsoff:

Amazing "Guns" how many people are rabid "plane" collectors. I started at a Barn sale in Highland NY 30 years ago and I'm still looking and buying. Of course prices are now out of sight in comparison to the few busk I spent for a woodworkers box of planes back then. Recently I have started picking up miniatures both old and new---I just love 'em. There is a local doll house and furniture builder that has made his own working miniature wooden planes to build furniture and accessories---that's wild. "Doc"

Very true.Plane collecting/restoring and using has a large following. There are many places with information and parts for old planes. I'm sure some searching will find you plenty of information and sources.

Now here's one for you,,there is a web site for Diston Saws,,,the little medallion on the saw handle will tell you it's approximate age where mfged and some other interesting information..I found the site once but then my computer ate itself and I've lost it..Believe it was just Diston Saws.
I buy just about every cutting tool I see,from spoke shaves to broad axes,complete or in parts.
Go the Burlington VT to the Shelburn Museum,then into the Shakes Barn,,,,,,,,thousands of hand tools,entire walls covered,,,,,,,,,,,
Try these out,, WWW.HIGHLANDWOODWORKING.COM WWW.ANTIQUE-USED-TOOLS.COM 360-452-2292
[email protected] 415-924-8403
these site are found in Fine WoodWorking Mag.
Gunny that is the site now ain't that just the cats meow..

Last edited by a moderator:
Y'all, I really didn't intend this thread to turn into a neanderthal tool discussion, but sobeit. :wink: :grin:

Easy things to find are tote's, irons, frogs, etc. Nut's 'n bolts not so much - but I'm a patient guy. Thanks for the links - I had a couple of them, but more is always betta :grin: .

Old pic of most of my planes. I don't buy wall whangers, only workers :grin: . Gotten some really good deals at local farm sales - $12 for that Stanley #7C, Type 15 on the right ( I love that plane! )

Ok, I've shown y'all mine, now show me your'n. :wink:

DSCN1404.jpg

Latest posts

Back