• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

packing a Flintlock rifle for shipping

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am eventually going to sell a flintlock rifle and going to have to pack it for shipping. Looking for ideas on the container it ships in. I can pack it with bubble wrap no problem. It would seem I need something long enough for the rifle and small enough so it doesn't rattle around inside.
I had to ship a very rare WWII rifle across the country once.
I used 2X4 studs and 1/2" plywood to build a long skinny wood box. I rolled the rifle up in an old blanket so it fit firmly and securely in the box. I put enough screws in the plywood that if you decided to open it you definitely needed a screw gun. If the gun is that valuable - it's a small investment to make sure it gets there in one piece.

Any idea aprox how much to ship.Im in Nevada.It may go to Tennessee or Kentucky. I have a gentleman looking for a buyer there.

Any idea aprox how much to ship.Im in Nevada.It may go to Tennessee or Kentucky. I have a gentleman looking for a buyer there.
Take an educated stab at the final size and weight of your box and call USPS, FEDEX or UPS and get quotes. Expect 60-70 dollars for overlength boxes.
And Yes - you can ship long guns and all black powder guns through the US Mail.

Sorry I'm not the muzzle loader guru like you all. But I would be afraid to take the barrel or the lock off of this I just don't know enough about it

Assuming a longrifle here: Absolutely DO NOT remove barrel from stock! You create a long fragile piece rattling around with a heavy stiff piece! The barrel in place reinforces the stock against breakage. TOTW used to ship in triple weight boxes with plastic film over the gun and space between box & gun filled with spray foam. Really stiff and light weight. Whatever you do, be sure the rifle can't rattle around inside, and there are several inches at each end and that the rifle has a few inches between it and the inside of the box surfaces. Newsprint is a very poor packing material, BTW. Loose peanuts are also poor, gun will move around inside. Tightly packed can work OK.

The guy I purchased my long rifle from shipped it in a custom case from Kalispel Case Line and then I shipped the empty case back to him. I liked the case so much I had them make one for me as I travel a couple of times a year between Alaska and America. 64"x14"x4". It was expensive but a lot less than the guns in the case.
https://kalispelcaseline.net/

Howdy gents, just adding my 2 cents. I have shipped and received many rifles and stocks over the last 20+ years and have had to repair many stocks that were broken in shipping. If a stock is going to get broken in shipping, it will almost always break through the wrist, it's weakest point. So do your best to reinforce that area when packing. Also, concerning the use of bubble wrap, never, never, never wrap it directly against a finished stock. There is a release agent that is left on the surface of the bubble wrap during it's manufacture that can react badly with some (maybe not all) stock finishes. I have received stocks wrapped in it that looked like a hoard of angry octopuses got a hold of it with their suckers, which then required refinishing. Always wrap the stock in something (news paper, paper towels, or cloth) before wrapping it in the bubble wrap.

US Postal Service not bad, and their insurance is said to be reliable, FedEx next.

Stay away from UPS. At least that my former employer's experience, shipping small amounts of specialty nickel alloy weld filler (electrodes, bare wire)

You all are full of great ideas. Now if I could just get one of you to come over and pack it up...that would be sweet!! Lol

If you have access to a paper shredder or shredded paper, putting shreds into a plastic grocery bag and tying off the opening makes good padding and it's pretty much free.

I have had good luck using 2" foam pipe insulation around the foreend and wrist of the rifle. It is cheap and easy to cut. You can also fold it over the ends for more padding.
I just received a rifle that was wrapped in bubble wrap and then sandwiched between two long pieces of thick cardboard before it was shoved in a square box. It did fine. Most of those long boxes are stood on end to ship in a truck or container so the ends should be well padded and the rifle secure.
I ususally use USPS Priority Mail for shipping rifles. They also have an Air Express category, but it is expensive. Mike Brooks shipped me a rifle from Iowa to Alabama that way. It was about $140 but quick and probably safer.
The USPS website has a cost estimator program. For a long box and that distance sent Priority Mail. I would guess $75-$100 insured.

Last edited:
I guess everyone has his own ideas about what is best. As suggested, taking it apart is ideal and as you indicated, with a long barreled gun, it’s you only practicable alternative. I put the components in a cheap plastic case, then tape a piece of laminate flooring to each side of the case - it more or less prevents damage from “point loading”. A wood box would be ideal, but would cost a hell of a lot extra to ship.
I use a wood box and yes, it does cost more (Going up by 5.9% next year)! But is the gun worth the extra security? The shipping Co. has a hard time claiming insufficient packing as opposed to shipping in cardboard!

Thank you SDSmif, I have to start selling a lot of my 60 year collection of both long arms and hand guns and this will help me. Cheaper than buying cases from Walmart like I thought I would do. The big plus is you can tailor the size for what it is, be it long rifle or a carbine. I think for my BP pistols a larger box than their size for security.

Back