• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Oxyoke Lubber

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Have any of you folks tried the Oxyoke bullet lubber? I just bought one in 54 caliber and took it to the range today to try. It is simple enough, it’s a plastic disk 1.5 inches in diameter about 7/8 inches thick with a hole through from top to bottom and a threaded hole in the side into which you screw a tube of lube. There were no directions or hints as to it’s function so I assumed you inserted a bullet, screwed on the tube of lube and pushed some lube out of the tube into the cavity holding the inserted bullet. Then I further assumed you set the disk over the barrel and pushed the bullet on through with your short starter to load. I tried this with a Maxi Ball and no way could I push this thing through past the top band. Anybody tried on of these? It would be simple if it worked the way I thought it should. Maybe it works with different bullets.

Stan

Have any of you folks tried the Oxyoke bullet lubber? I just bought one in 54 caliber and took it to the range today to try. It is simple enough, it’s a plastic disk 1.5 inches in diameter about 7/8 inches thick with a hole through from top to bottom and a threaded hole in the side into which you screw a tube of lube. There were no directions or hints as to it’s function so I assumed you inserted a bullet, screwed on the tube of lube and pushed some lube out of the tube into the cavity holding the inserted bullet. Then I further assumed you set the disk over the barrel and pushed the bullet on through with your short starter to load. I tried this with a Maxi Ball and no way could I push this thing through past the top band. Anybody tried on of these? It would be simple if it worked the way I thought it should. Maybe it works with different bullets.

Stan

The way this thing is made the bullet goes in the hole just to the top band. You then screw the tub of Oxyoke wonder lube to the threaded hole in the side and push the lube in. The problem is if the bullet is shorter than the thickness of the disk much of the lube just goes out the bottom. Then you have to pull the messy thing back out the top and load it. The threaded hole in the side will only accommodate wonder lube with a small cap. I don’t know anywhere other than Oxyoke that you can get lube with that size cap so that, along with the mess, makes this thing a bad buy in my mind. It didn’t cost much but it was still a waste of money.
Stan

It'll work with a straight walled bullet but it won't work the way you want it to with a bullet that has a larger top band but I see you have already figured that out. Thompson Center used to market one that worked on the same principal. I always figured these things were for lubing a batch of bullets at the bench. It seems like a lot going on at the muzzle if one tried to do everything in one step. I had only looked at the ads out of curiosity years ago and figured it would offer no advantage to me and I don't use either of the associated lubes or bullets with a larger diameter top band.

Hawkeye
You're right, I don't see an advantage either but I bought it anyway. Not the first thing I've wasted money on and probably won't be the last. As old as I am you'ld think I'd be smarter than that.
Stan

Hawkeye
You're right, I don't see an advantage either but I bought it anyway. Not the first thing I've wasted money on and probably won't be the last. As old as I am you'ld think I'd be smarter than that.
Stan
I have a few of those tc versions. I have never been able to get them to work with the commercial lubes. Went back to the Lyman lubrisizer and never looked back.

Back