• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Open display of BP for sale

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CrossXstix said:
So if a guest comes to your hunting camp with nothing,
If a feller where to show up at a "hunting" camp with nothing,,
First off I'd consider this person an idiot for not doing any prep work what so ever. And would seriously wonder if he has an ability to "hunt" in or with the party of Gentlemen I hunt with. He would probably be delegated to camp cook that first year and we would prepare him throughout the year for next years camp.
If you'd like to present some kind of real circumstance I'd give a real answer.

If all the laws that are on the books were enforced more of the country would be in jail than out.I think that using your head and keeping your mouth shut is the best policy.

According to what Zonie posted.... NOTE there is nothing about a minimum quantity that must be met before a violation occurs..., so as mentioned, the way the law is written, if you were at a range and somebody asked to be allowed to shoot your black powder gun, so you loaded it for them, then you distributed the powder to them when you handed them the gun and allowed them to fire, because it was part of the load they used to shoot, that's a violation. If a black powder cartridge shooter gave another person a cartridge loaded with the propellant, to use at the range or at a CAS match....that would be a violation according to the wording of the law.

LD

charlie said:
If all the laws that are on the books were enforced more of the country would be in jail than out.I think that using your head and keeping your mouth shut is the best policy.

This is the Best Advice Yet.

Often laws are written like this so they can bust you if they want to for something else, but do not really give a rip if you give your buddy 35 grains of fff. Say, you gave the AFT guy the finger. Then he might be looking for something, but otherwise, they do not give a hoot if you share.

wpjson said:
Often laws are written like this so they can bust you if they want to for something else, but do not really give a rip if you give your buddy 35 grains of fff. Say, you gave the AFT guy the finger. Then he might be looking for something, but otherwise, they do not give a hoot if you share.
The voice of reason. :thumbsup:

Amen to that. Our Bass Pro has it and they actually have a couple of guys who know about it and will go in back and get it for you, but I made a mistake one time and asked the guys at the gun counter and they said "we don't sell that stuff". I had to go to the archery counter (WTH?) and ask the guy there. He went back and got me a couple of pounds of 3f. At $26 a pound it's not cheap, but it is local and available. Probably equals out to paying hazmat fees if I were to buy it on line.

Graf & Sons online will sell you any amount you want up to 50lbs for $16 lb. Hazmat is $28 per shipment so I buy 5 to 10 lb at a time to offset the cost. For whatever reason it's always harder to find and more expensive in the stores.

necchi said:
CrossXstix said:
First off I'd consider this person an idiot for not doing any prep work what so ever. And would seriously wonder if he has an ability to "hunt" in or with the party of Gentlemen I hunt with. He would probably be delegated to camp cook that first year and we would prepare him throughout the year for next years camp.

So I have a friend who wanted to try shooting a muzzleloader. He has some land he hunts on. He invited me to hunt and I offered to let him use one of my rifles. He shot it several times, learned to load it and used it to hunt. I provided the gun, the powder, ball and caps. So, was that illegal?

I know that when you break it down buying on line is probably less expensive, but in my case I have room to store 5 lbs, but couldn't house much more than that. So buying in such large amounts would be a no go for me.

And I am not able to make it out to shoot as often as I would like to (work and family) so I don't burn through it that fast anyway.

Thanks for the suggestions though. :v

If you met a hardheaded ATF guy who really didn't like you, he could probably say it was illegal and give you a hard time.

As the chances of running into a ATF guy with a grudge out in the wilderness (or even at a local shooting range) is very remote, nothing will come from loaning your gun and black powder to a friend.

Don't worry about it. :thumbsup:

Snakebite said:
necchi said:
CrossXstix said:

So I have a friend who wanted to try shooting a muzzleloader. He has some land he hunts on. He invited me to hunt and I offered to let him use one of my rifles. He shot it several times, learned to load it and used it to hunt. I provided the gun, the powder, ball and caps. So, was that illegal?

I'd say unless you sold the powder to him (and it was real BP) then of course not and the fact HE LEARNED to use it is cool. 1st scenario the guy was going in blind.

When I am shooting with my daughter and friends, I am using the powder. I am using it to teach my daughter. If I use it for a shooting day with friends, it is still me using it, even though they are doing the shooting. At the end of the day, I would look at how much was used and I would say "I used a whole pound of powder today." If I cook you waffles for breakfast, it is me using the eggs. I think everyone is trying to think too much. Use it and don't worry.

Back