• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One Small Step...Then Another

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arcticap

54 Cal.
Reaction score
About 10 years ago I initiated 2 proposals to the CT hunting regulations that were enacted. My reason for describing the simple letter writing process that I employed is to provide others with an example to follow so that they can see how easy the process is to initiate.
The first proposal involved the post card sized numbered deer tags that hunter's here were required to display on their backs while deer hunting. One day mine came off and was lost and I had to backtrack to recover it. Later, I called the Wildlife Dept. and tracked down the employee in charge of those tags and complained to him about the requirement. To my surprise, he said, "I'm in the process of ordering next years tags from the printer and they are getting more expensive. Eliminating that requirement will cut down on our printing costs. Please put your complaint in writing and send it to me." So I did and the next year the requirement was eliminated, simple as that.
The 2nd proposal that was eventually put into affect began with an inquiry to DEP about how to make a proposed hunting reg. change. I was told who to submit a letter to for review. The DEP has an internal review committee that reviews proposals and decides whether they are "worthy" of further consideration. I submitted about 3 or 4 of my personal "demands". The only one that matters involved the length of our grey squirrel season and my desire for us to match neighboring Rhode Island's. Their season began about 6 weeks earlier than ours. After several months I received a negative reply from the senior biologist stating his concern about winter squirrel mortality & nursing baby squirrels! The proposal was denied. Then, when I went to purchase my hunting license the 2nd year following the denial, I was shocked when the reg.'s showed the dates of our new early squirrel season, Sept. 1 -30, then restarting as usual Oct. 14th - Feb. 28. I'll believe that my proposal led to that enactment until the day I die.
Can anybody else share their grassroots experience about trying to change a law or regulation? Has anyone ever spoke in a public hearing, wrote a letter to a publication or helped stage a public protest about something we can all relate to? I'm sure all of us would enjoy hearing about it. :hatsoff:

Back