• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One piece stock for CVA Kentucky rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well worth the effort by the looks of it. How did you go about marrying the butt cap and muzzle cap? I’ve seen in the colonial gunsmith of Williamsburg movie he fits them straight then makes all flush with a file and sanding. Did you take a similar approach?
Yes the wood was a bit proud of the brass which was helpful in getting them to fit together. Just take care not to deeply gouge the softer brass with the file. Also another mistake I made was concentrating my sanding in one spot. That ended up creating a low spot on the comb near the top of the butt plate, others can correct me if I'm wrong but what I learned from that is to sand in long strokes to avoid gouging. A good resource you might consider is the book The Gunsmith of Greenville County by Peter Alexander. That's the one I referred to just about every step of the way.

treeman sorry but you are wrong they were just named something else and traditions stocks will accept his cva parts with little or no fitting the only part of your statement is they never sold one as a kit
The only full stock rifle that traditions ever made without the brass disc was the Shenandoah. They are scarce and his lock will most likely drop right in but the barrel and tang will not.

Another off the wall option would be sending your two piece stock to a stock maker (or anybody) that has a pantograph duplicator. They could knock out a stock in the wood of your choice. Probably more expense than you wanted to sink in the rifle but a labor efficient shortcut to a one piece. Good luck with whatever path you chose.

I just purchased one of these CVA Kentucky rifles with a great bore but a bad inlet job. Real bad. I already glued the two stock halves together using marine epoxy and sanding dust with some artists chalk of the appropriate finished color as a dye in the epoxy, as well as bedded the lock, barrel, nose cap and butt plate with the stuff. A .45 acp shell cut off fit the ramrod hole perfectly, acts like another dowel after being epoxied in and is thin enough to let the ramrod pass through without any issues. I also modified that trigger guard and got rid of the finger catcher thing. I will spray it with a dark finish and it will look acceptable. It should be a nice, accurate do-all rifle when completed that I won't feel the need to baby the thing. As far using traditional methods to do the work, why bother when it is a rifle that never was authentic.

Back