• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Olive Castile Soap

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm having trouble finding non-extra virgin olive oil! I think it is like finding someone who doesn't pay their charge card off "every month."

Interesting that I spotted this thread today.
My wife is going to give a talk and demo on how to make facial scrubs and soaps with olive oil today. Tomorrow I might be able to share her recipes. Like others, when I was raising cattle and doing ronny I always completely scrubbed myself with real lye soap at the end of the day. It gets rid of rash causing pizzen ivy and calms down sores from tick bites. Yes, running water through hardwood ashes and using hog fat is the old, and correct, way to make real olde timey soap. And the best. Lye Crisco ain't the same.

I used to use a wooden frame but it sticks, then I lined them with shrink wrap, now since those silicon bread baking pans came out I use them. They pop out great without any distortion and cut easy. Also their non reactive.
Not going to post the pan since its not period and dont want to offend :)

PB268337_SoapSeaBuckthornBoth-1000_zps785a4b78.jpg

Looks so good I want to eat it... like a big block of caramel just awaiting to be melted down and apples dipped... oh my, it doesn't taste very good I'm betting. I have experience with a variety of soap flavors, mom made me bite many throughout my days. Never found one I liked. Maybe your recipe dragon is the ticket! :grin:

colorado clyde said:
I always completely scrubbed myself with real lye soap at the end of the day.

Just what exactly is "real lye soap"?.....How is it different from other bar soaps?

Isn't lye used in all of them?

Many 'modern' soaps have no soap in them at all. Many are chemical compounds with ingredients that can't be pronounced. IMHO "real lye soap" is just that, lye made from hardwood ashes and animal (preferably hog) fat.

To the first article I say BA-LONEY!! :bull: She would have us believe that using store bought soap is a death defying act. I have used store bought soap to wash myself daily from stem to stern and keel to crow's nest for most of my 76 years and am still going strong. Sure, hand made soap is nice but expensive. Use it if you want to but it is no better than store bought soap when it comes to getting you clean. After all, isn't that what using soap is all about?

I don't use home made soap any more, it is just too much trouble to make. I helped my great grandma make it years ago and the novelty of the experience has worn off. It is too easy to just pick up a few bars of store bought soap at the store. Yeah, I'm getting lazy in my old age. But, I figure I've earned the right to be lazy in my twilight years. In my early years I worked in the fields picking cotton, loading hay, burning the stickers off cactus so the cattle could eat it and a lot of other hard work. Then later, I ran a department for a multinational company for many years. I've paid my dues so I don't feel bad about using store bought soap as a safe and healthy expedient.

I found the second article very informative. :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing. :hatsoff:

colorado clyde said:
I always completely scrubbed myself with real lye soap at the end of the day.

Just what exactly is "real lye soap"?.....How is it different from other bar soaps?

Isn't lye used in all of them?

I've considered this and the lye from the store is marketed as sodium hydroxide. From wood ashes it will have a bunch of different hydroxides. The wood ashes will have sodium and potassium and probably some calcium and magnesium as well. Pretty much whatever metals the tree takes up from the ground.

Only store-bought soap I've found that uses sodium tallowate (the active ingredient in lye soap) is Ivory.

Elnathan said:
Only store-bought soap I've found that uses sodium tallowate (the active ingredient in lye soap) is Ivory.

I always thought sodium tallowate was lye soap....(tallow or fat, sapponafied with lye (sodium hydroxide) )
And sodium tallowate was just the commercial industrial name for it...... :idunno:

The whole point for me making my own soap was because my skin was being irritated from the commercial stuff. Great if one does not have that sensitivity but allot of peoples bodies are becoming saturated with manure and have become more allergic to some commercial products.
People are also becoming allergic to some clothing that has been derived from GMO strains causing rashes (cottons form india).
Yup their are people that smoke and drink all their life and live to 90, others not so lucky :)

I certainly do understand people with allergies not using whatever product is causing the allergic reaction. It only makes sense to do so. What I have a problem with is people who jump onto whatever fad comes along and then touting it as absolute fact to everyone who will listen. Remember when everyone suffered from the tennis elbow fad? Now that the fad has passed, how many people do you hear suffering from it? It seems that the latest fads are lactose intolerance and gluten intolerance. I expect that these fads will pass....and then what will be next? Of course many people have true intolerances to these things but I think all too many are just going along with the latest fad coming out of Hollywood. But this is just the opinion of a cranky old fart.

lol, no its true, fads have gotten out of control, I shake my head allot of advertised stuff (All Natural Spring Water, Gluten Free) easy excuse for people that want to complain and not do research.
Spending three hours making soap (for me once a year) fortunately cuts the Chaff from the serious people.
:)

We've made soap a number of times in the past when the itch for it developed(pun intended) but don't make it a regular practice. As with many things in muzzleloading and other activities we are free to choose how deeply we fall into it. I like to try stuff, but don't chose to live my whole life as if it was 1820.

We will give the olive oil soap a shot just for fun.

Latest posts

Back