• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Older EMF '51

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paleryder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I obtained an EMF replica Colt 1851 Navy back in the early 90's. I traded it for my .50 muzzleloading rifle so I have no idea of the cost. I do not know which company manufactured it.
I shot it several times and really enjoyed it. It has a silver backstrap, which I don't see much of looking around at what is available today.

I had two problems with it that made me quit shooting: 1) the loading handle would drop and jam the cylinder; I don't recall this happening at first but it was doing it almost every other shot when I quit and 2) the wedge would come out while I was shooting and I almost shot my pistol in two! I felt the gun was unsafe. I was much younger then and didn't know where to go for help.

For these two reasons, I quit shooting. Now I have boys and they are old enough to shoot. I want to get them shooting and I love shooting BP. So, I need your advice on what to do. Can the loading handle and wedge problems be fixed or was this just a poor quality gun? Any idea who manufactures the '51's for EMF in the early 90's, particularly the "Hartford Model" with the silver backstrap?

If this is a decent gun and I'm just such a newb that I can't operate it, I'd like to learn, fix it up and use it. If it's a lemon, then I'll probably get a different gun.

Thanks.

Todd

More than likely its a Uberti. I have one just like it.
To tune the loading lever simply deepen the catch notch below the muzzle with a small file. This allows the spring loaded catch on the lever to have more grip. Five minutes with a file cured that problem with mine.
The wedge should go through the frame and cylinder pin and project a little out the other side. On the top part of the wedge that projects out the right side is a very small spring catch. This catch grips the right side of the frame preventing the wedge from sliding out. On the left side of the frame is a screw on top of the wedge that prevents the wedge from falling out. That screw should only allow the wedge to slide out for dissasembly but not enough to fall out. The screw rides in the trough on top of the wedge.
If the right side catch is weak or broken the wedge could slide to the left. If the left side screw is missing it could fall out completly. If the wedge is not insereted all the way it could slide out. If it is upside down it won't go in far and it will be apt to fall out. You may have to give the wedge a little tap from the right for the catch to grip. When my revolver was new I had to use tools to tighten and loosen the wedge.

Thanks. I did exactly what you did to the loading handle, except I used a dremel1 I frankly can't remembering shooting it after the "fix". The wedge catches and a push from the right will not budge it unless I depress the spring, yet when firing it would come out. I'm going to double check to make sure it's not upside down. This was my first cap-n-ball and I was educating myself at the time. It's possible that I did not install the wedge correctly. I vaguely remember monkeying with it for some reason. Do you adjust it to manage the gap between the barrel and the cylinder? I suppose I could check with Dixie Gunworks or some other vendor and buy another just to see if it fits.

You said you think it could be an Uberti. Is there a stamp on your gun that says Uberti or is this who they were importing back then?

Thanks again for your help.

Todd

Okay, remember I'm a newb. :)

I looked around on the gun a little more an saw A.S.M. I am assuming that this is Armi San Marco. Can anyone tell me about this manufacture, quality of the weapons, etc...?

I did a little more testing of the wedge and it does push through fairly easily. The spring must be weak or the lip that catches is barely doing so.

Todd

You are right. It was my 75 EMF Remington that came in a Uberti box.

Checked with Dixie Gunworks. They sell wedges and springs for wedges for 1851's but state the won't work on my model, only Piettas, Ubertis and Eurosomethingother. Called a local gunsmith and he's going to look at the wedge. With hope I will soon be polluting the atmosphere with gunsmoke. :wink:

Todd

Gents,

Just getting to know my revolver again. There is a little play (foward and back, NOT side-to-side) in the cylinder on the gun. I remember this has always been the case. It does not change the chamber's alingment but it does change the gap at the cylinder by about 1mm, eh...maybe less but it is noticeable and you can hear and feel the cylinder move a little. Is this normal for this type of pistol? Thanks.

Todd

Thanks. I took the revolver to the gunsmith today and my wedge needs to be replaced. It just isn't big enough and/or spring is very week too. I almost have to push the wedge completely in to get a tight fit and I have to remove the screw to even do that. We test fit a wedge from an old Italian kit and it fit a lot better. VTI has some ASM parts so I am going to try there first. If that fails, I'll probably try a wedge for a Pietta or Uberti and see if it works. I'm not sure if it is just the part or if I wore the darn thing out. I always completely disassembled the gun after shooting and gave it a thorough cleaning. Maybe I wore it out.

In the mean time, it appears in a delusional stupor I ordered a Pietta 1851 from Cabellas since they are on sale. I now have to find a way to 1) hide it from my wife (darn near impossible) or 2) come up with an adequate explanation for the purchase (also darn near impossible) :)

Again, thanks guys for all your help.
Todd

Latest posts

Back