• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Ok, what did Navy arms did I buy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walruskid1

54 Cal.
Reaction score
I believe it's a two band enfield. I thought it was a musketoon but it does not have a patch box. The markings are a crown on the lock with the word Enfield. It says Navy arms on top of the barrel and 58 caliber with a dram equivalent marking. It does have a bayonet lug. I think it has a circle with d and g in it. Any idea exactly what it is and how old it is? I also got a nice underhammer buggy rifle in the deal but I am quite familiar with those.

NEED A PHOTO or several, pllease...:D
Note, not all "musketoons" have patch boxes..., what's the barrel length?
If you want a manufacture date, you're going to need to share the serial number, unless it's a discontinued piece and you can date it as young as the last year of production.
How many lands and grooves in the barrel, 3 or 5 or something different?

LD

The Enfield on the lock shows that it is a replication of a gun made at the Royal Small Arms Factory at Enfield Lock, North London. There should also be a circular stamp on the right-hand side of the butt with the word 'ENFIELD'. The originals, and any replicas, therefore replicate a firearm that shot/shoots the .577cal Minié bullet [called the .58 for the US market], and does not need a patch, hence the lack of a patchbox. The Musketoon is a very short - carbine length - firearm, with a barrel length of not more than about 24 inches. A two-band, or 'short' rifle, has a barrel of around 32 inches. That will not have a patchbox either, for the same reason. Navy Arms replicas are made in Italy, and therefore will have Italian proof marks somewhere on the breech end of the barrel. Yours SHOULD have a set of letters in a square cartouche. Tell us what they are and we'll tell you how old it is, but it's unlikely to be more than about eighteen for the reasons detailed in the second to last line below.

The DG in the circle is the maker - Armi San Paolo S.r.l.. Established in 1970, it uses the last names of the original founders Grassi, Doninelli, and Gazzola as a symbol, DGG, usually contained within a circle. Beginning December 31, 2001, Armi San Paolo officially became Euroarms Italia S.r.l. The same logo is used on all Euroarms models.

Last edited:
If the gun is an Italian make piece, it will have a proof stamp. The proof stamp can be dated using the information in the topic Modern Replica Dating by Proof Marks in the Member Resources, How-To Articles, Charts & Technical References.

I just noticed somehow I got an extra did in that title. Never was too computer literate. It has the letters am In a box. I'll post a picture when I can remember how. Right now I'm starting to think it wasn't such a deal, the patches are coming out rust colored.

IMG_20181217_184413324_HDR.jpg IMG_20181217_184439045.jpg

I did remember to use the search function and and looked up patches coming out rusty. I will clean it very well and take it out and shoot it and see how she shoots

Yeah...if she shoots good, don't pay no never-mind to brown patches.

I just noticed somehow I got an extra did in that title. Never was too computer literate. It has the letters am In a box. I'll post a picture when I can remember how. Right now I'm starting to think it wasn't such a deal, the patches are coming out rust colored.
The letters "AM" in a square box indicate your Enfield was made in 1984
Bob

Back