• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Now THIS wheellock would hurt a LH'd shooter!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Wheellock Arquebus, Italy, circa 1625 to 1630 - Museum of Paris

Now admittedly I like the below mentioned body parts of a certain persuasion in my face as much as the next guy ... but this is NOT for those shooting left-handed! :ghostly:

"This arquebus appears to come from Southern Italy and is fitted with a Portuguese-style wheellock. Arquebuses from this region, of significant Hispanic influence, display unique attention to the workmanship on their mounts. Thus, on this piece signed CHISA on the buttstock, we can see a true ronde-bosse (encrusted enamel) composition. The theme portrayed shows a bare-breasted woman sitting astride a billy goat and holding onto a faun or satyr, her hands tied behind her back with her hair. It is clearly inspired by an ancient depiction of Aphrodite. The billy goat was a symbol of lust in medieval society. This inaccurate reputation stuck with the animal for centuries, but was also alleged to be associated with witches and vice. However, the arquebus decoration is not limited to the stock, as the barrel with smooth sides and bore boasts fine engravings of foliage along half of its length. An unidentified stamp (AC) is also present on the ball."

Figured-WL-Arquebus1.jpg
Figured-WL-Arquebus2.jpg
Figured-WL-Arquebus3.jpg
Figured-WL-Arquebus4.jpg
Figured-WL-Arquebus5.jpg

Figured-WL-Arquebus6.jpg

Figured-WL-Arquebus7.jpg

Last edited:
There’s a pretty amazing piece. I expect that they never really expected anyone to actually shoot it. But back then everyone was wearing heavy clothing and heavy jackets or coats so it probably wasn’t a problem to shoot it. But as you noted there is a lot of stuff in the way to shoot it left handed. But then the inquisition was in full swing so any left handed people were likely burned at the stake for being witches.

That doesn’t look comfortable for anyone to shoot!

I may be mistaken, but isn’t the “Portuguese” wheellock a misnomer and they are actually Italian? I think Michael Tromner had a post on it…
It looks like I was wrong

Last edited:
Back