• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Novel Kentucky Stand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Back a long time ago, my sister belonged to a Book of the Month Club. Or some other book club.

Anyway, she got this book along with several others. She passed this one, as well as some others, along to me. I was probably nine years old when I read this. The author is Jere Wheelwright. I ran up on a copy and just finished re-reading it.

This is about frontier days in KY. (Kaintuckee).

The protagonist, James Cheston, a 19 year old boy from a privileged family in Maryland in 1777 or so, goes to Kaintuckee to claim land belonging to his father, who is a POW of the British, at the behest of his uncle, who is brash and foolish.

About a fourth of the book is travel along the Wilderness Road, blazed by Daniel Boone. Sets the mood well, and descriptive of the countryside. Along the way, Jim meets, incidentally, some famous people. Like Thomas Jefferson, Mad Anne Bailey, Simon Butler Kenton, Daniel Boone, and a few others. The remainder of the book takes place in Boonesborough.

Not a lot of action except at the end and about half way through it. The last action is the siege of Boonesborough.

Some lack of research shows; in loading his Deckhard rifle, he "spits" the bullet into the barrel.

I'm amazed that some of the scenes I remembered after 61 years.

A good read for a nine-year-old, some was over my head at the time. A pretty good for read for an adult reader who isn't looking for Great Literature. Definitely zero adult themes, strictly PG. As a historical, it's good, down to names of relatively minor characters for the period. Wheelwright did his homework.

Back