• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

North Star West lock quality?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CWC

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I had a thread going in the gun builders forum about shopping for a trade gun lock. I had asked about the quality of a North Star West lock. I realized that this forum might be a better place to ask that question. So...I've read plenty of posts saying that people love their NSW trade guns, but I'd like to know specifically if anyone has had any bad experiences with the lock?

but I'd like to know specifically if anyone has had any bad experiences with the lock?

Don't think you're going to get many replies if you're looking for bad experiences.
First thing I said when I checked the lock out on mine was WOW. Smooth, nicely polished inside and out, good geometry, etc.. Its a good lock.

Might be wrong, but I thought they used locks from another maker, that NSW polished and tuned themselves. I have an old North Star gun from the prior owner of the company (Curley died almost 20 years ago) and the lock is phenominal.

NSW makes their own locks. They have the moulds, etc. Matt does all the lock work himself. Does not farm it out to anyone. It is too important to him to let anyone elso touch his locks. Period. Exclamation point!

My guess is that you'll have trouble finding any negative comments about the locks from North Star West.

I can say I had one of Curly's locks back in the 80's that was junk. I tried everything to get it to spark & go off to no avail. I replaced it with a Davis lock and never looked back. OTOH, I had a NSW gun fitted with the original lock and it was a great sparker & went off very fast. I guess the new owner must have had the same experience I had with a Curly lock and did something about it. I've not heard anyone complain about these locks since the company changed hands some 20 years ago.

Keb, Musta been the locks they sent to Michigan,George snapped his frisen spring with just use.

The lock I have is super, I took two 2nd places and 3rd in the smooth bore ag at the territorials this year here in PA. I have the English 1750 Trade Gun and it is one of my favorites.I did not have to tune this lock.

Back