• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

non-acidic meals?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Okay lads & lasses... I've been an outdoor cook for more decades than I care to think about, and cook daily on my good ole black iron. I'm new to copper, bronze, brass, all that sorta metal, though, and really need some recipes. I bought a new tin-lined copper "Hudson's Bay Kettle" (1 quart), and a used bronze 3/4 gallon cookpot with questionable tin. I'm told I can cook anything but acidic foods in it, but I don't know what the devil that leaves! (No chili?! Aaaaiiieeee!!!)

Can anyone please give me some recipes, and some basic guidelines, on what I can and cannot cook in these pots? I've run searches online, but it seems to me that most foods are listed as acidic.

My apologies if this is too basic or goofy a question, but I sure could use a little guidance.

Thanks very much.

You can cook anything in the new tin lined kettle. Cooking anything in the old one might be dangerous. Tomatoes are acidic. Many fruits are acidic.

Homesteader said:
Can anyone please give me some recipes, and some basic guidelines, on what I can and cannot cook in these pots? I've run searches online, but it seems to me that most foods are listed as acidic.

My buddy does historical trecking. He and his friends dry every type of veggy immaginable except tomatoes. They stop everynight, start a fire and add jerky and the veggys to the pot. Simmer until the water turns to stew and you have your dinner. Boil water for tea and oatmeal for breakfast. Eat hard tack and jerky for lunch. Keep a bunch of dried fruit along for snacks but don't cook.
I hope that helps.
Regards
Wounded knee

Latest posts

Back