• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

No Offense Intended

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WV_Hillbilly

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I would get buy or borrow a good dial or digital caliper and see if you can take several sets of measurements at the muzzle. I had a ".45" Jukar pistol almost 40 years ago. I got it as a kit gun for Christmas and while I had no trouble with the filing,finishing, and assembly... I tried a patched .440 diameter ball and it wasn't even close to fitting the bore. Since I was only about 12yrs old, I had a neighbor into reloading who took some measurements for me to help me determine what diameter ball should work with this pistol.

Very surprised I was to find that I actually had a bore that measured .425 diameter. I was glad for the new knowledge, but also extremely pee'd upon to find my ".45" was a "~.43". I found some .415 cast balls and they worked like a charm!!!

It was more of a display/wall decoration for the den than a hunter, plinker, or heavy use shooter. I seem to remember that 30gr of FFFg was the maximum that I would shoot in it. Granny always thought I was going to come in the house after a loud ka-boom with everything from elbow forward missing and a bloody stump. Pappy was more sympathetic (but I still think he enjoyed it on the wall more than my shooting it).

He (Pappy) was more than placated when I fired my "proof" load, which apparently did no harm to the gun (as was examined by my neighbor with his micrometers and calipers). I'd rather not list my "proof" load as someone out there just might give it a try without the excessive precautions that I used.

BTW, I still perform proof testing on every gun that is owned by me and measure it for changes.

Shoot wisely and safely!
WVHillbilly

Harbor freight has one on sale right now for 9.99 with the coupon!
Electronic. they have 2 models almost identical.
I bought one just yesterday matter of factly, even though I have micrometers and 2 top end calibers, both electronic and dial.
For 10 bucks, it was good money spent!

It read EXACTLY the same as my spendy ones when measuring RB last night.

go online, print off their coupon and high tail it down there and put your desires to bed!
While down there, use the coupons for the "free" items as well! like the frwee led flashlights! they come with batteries even!

Back